The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM

Some may call me nuts, but my Larrivee has gone 23 years without any setup work (not even a trussrod tweak as it was made just prior to Larrivee using adjustable trussrods) and while it has definite wear (fret wear, scalloping of the fretboard, grooves in saddle), I find its action and playability to be just fine.

cheers,
andrew
-- Schroedinger's wife
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM

I usually get a new guitar set up (if it needs it) about six to eight weeks after I receive it.
Here in New England, it's been my experience that, if I buy a new guitar and have a setup, it often needs a minor tweak during the first major seasonal change...Summer to Winter or the opposite. Then it's usually two or more years before it needs any other work at all.
That's with all of my smaller bodied guitars. When I owned my Lowden O-12, it would need a 1/8th turn of the truss rod for every major seasonal change. I figured that it was just because of the jumbo body that this seasonal tweak was necessary.

I humidify when it's dry and run air conditioning in the Summer, trying to keep the RH in my home between50% - 60%.

My guitars rarely leave the house and they have regular string changes.

So far, that combination has worked well for me.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion