The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I refuse to give anything to anyone who begs from me by cornering me...whether it's a homeless person at a stop light (veteran or not), a charitable organization set up at intersections doing much the same thing, or a check-out clerk at a store asking me if I want to donate. I just cannot stand that approach to begging and will not give.
I agree 100%.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I am a veteran.

The military is in essence a small slice of America.

The are bad veterans and there are good veterans.

I do not give or donate based on this criteria alone.

Well Put, Welcome home, Semper Fi
Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM

When I give something to someone, I don't conduct a test, or ask questions.
If give, then give.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Skip this if you support the current military.
As a physician, I worked at the W. Los Angeles V.A. for 3 years, and had to resign, due to the deplorable conditions, and lack of treatment the vets received.
Vets who were not drafted, and chose to engage in senseless conflicts can sleep in their own bed. Most of the "homeless vets" around here are alcoholic/drug addicts who do little more than bum everyone out by not even trying to work.
I imagine if you are trained to kill and live that life for 4-12 years, there would be major difficulties re-joining society in a meaningful way, if you're a killer.
Our government treats vets horribly, except for all of the phony patriotism. I'm sure when the news liars salute our wounded warriors, it makes them feel much better, doesn't it?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Homeless Veterans

I happen to be a 'Nam vet, and as of recent I have only VA health insurance. I get Medicare starting next month.
For the past three years, every time I go in for my annual checkup I have a different doctor. This summer it was a nurse practitioner. I just set up another appointment, and this person is already gone. I am seeing a physicians assistant. We fighting to keep our VA hospital open. The government is trying to close it.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Skip this if you support the current military.
As a physician, I worked at the W. Los Angeles V.A. for 3 years, and had to resign, due to the deplorable conditions, and lack of treatment the vets received.
Vets who were not drafted, and chose to engage in senseless conflicts can sleep in their own bed. Most of the "homeless vets" around here are alcoholic/drug addicts who do little more than bum everyone out by not even trying to work.
I imagine if you are trained to kill and live that life for 4-12 years, there would be major difficulties re-joining society in a meaningful way, if you're a killer.
Our government treats vets horribly, except for all of the phony patriotism. I'm sure when the news liars salute our wounded warriors, it makes them feel much better, doesn't it?
I'm a disabled veteran. I think your decision to resign from the VA was a wise one.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM

I am a Nam Marine, and 100%Disabled from the Corps due to Nam. The VA lacks doctors and RN. They have tons of medical assistants, yet in Phoenix VA doctors have 10 minutes with you, then next patient. It seems from the Top. Lack of any accountability.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM

I appreciate hearing the many viewpoints to those who responded to my question. I think I feel less guilt-ridden about not giving.

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Homeless is..... homeless. Vet, mentally ill, bad circumstances, addiction, shouldn't matter. If you're going to help, help. Otherwise drive on by. Some who are pan-handling are homeless, some are not. If you're going to judge who is more worthy, then judgement will be your calling card. I've played at the Union Rescue Mission for over a decade and met and talked with hundreds of homeless and recovering individuals. There is no one, or even 20, reason for it and as many ways to help.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Transients have personal issues. I'm not so sure there really is a way to help them in the sense that they will quit doing what they are doing. Yes they do need help at times. I think it's great to help people that need it or can use it. I am not saying I do that great helping them. I do think most of our reasons for not helping them are based on our own projections. I see them everyday in all kinds of weather, sleeping and sitting around. I've seen some of the same people for years and don't believe for a minute that they are taking advantage of tax payers.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 PM

I am a minister who has helped the homeless, including veterans, in multiple ways for a long time. Really helping takes a commitment, not cash. Cash often hurts more than helps. Here are some possibilities:
  • treat the homeless with love and respect, as a person worth knowing, not a problem to be "solved"
  • help take care of immediate needs first, but only in ways that actually help. Don't give $5, pay for a room in a trusted facility with whom you have established an ongoing relationship.
  • Take a homeless person to eat, or perhaps meet him/her at a local restaurant. Be very wise here - do not open yourself to attack or worse!
  • Try to get this person into a temporary shelter; find out his/her job skills, or if more appropriate, job training.
  • Realize that this might mean helping with clothes, etc.
  • Help this person reconnect - perhaps with current new friends, or perhaps with positive-influence friends or family from the past. This can get complicated in a hurry, so it's wise to have other competent helpers involved.
See what I mean? Commitment, not cash. Too often, cash is used for things that add to the problems. I've seen it more times than I can count.

cotten
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 PM

I don't believe one's Veterans status makes them any more or less deserving of help. That said money is not the answer. It may even create more problems than it solves.

FWIW Many years ago, before I was married, I was homeless. I am also a Veteran.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Here is my take as a Vietnam veteran...

When we came back from Vietnam, we learned very quickly to NOT say anything about having been in Vietnam. It was not a welcome thing in those days among the American public. In recent years, we are hearing "Thank you for your service" all over the place. That is a good thing to finally not have to be ashamed of our service, but it took many, many years for that to happen.

I find it interesting that in recent years, possibly in accordance with the change in attitude toward Vietnam veterans and all veterans, that we are seeing more homeless sporting veterans signs. Is that coincidence? I honestly don't know, but it does give me pause to consider.

Regarding homeless veterans, I can tell you that several years following my return from Vietnam are a blur that I barely remember. I was walking around in a daze and have no idea how I survived. It wasn't until in recent years, with all the discussion in the media about what the veterans coming back from the various conflicts in the Middle East are going through, that I began to understand what I went through. I can really understand why there are homeless veterans. I was lucky to get re-entered into our society over time, but not everybody is that fortunate.

I don't know that I am making a particular case for veterans over other homeless folks, but instead just trying to get folks to understand that, without that service experience, many of these veterans may have been perfectly fine and productive members of society. We can't really know.

Thanks,

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 AM

First off, to all the vets here, thank you for your service.

As to the OP, here in Dayton panhandling is getting to be a real problem. I live just behind the local VA Hospital and there are almost always guys out w/their signs.

Local news have been reporting that social service agencies are advising rather than give cash (for the reasons mentioned earlier), give to agencies set up to give assistance.

Something else I'm seeing more of is panhandlers getting caught putting on an act to get well-intended folks' money.

If your conscience is really seared about this, though, buy some fruit/crackers/cookies, etc. and hand them out. A cup of joe or a bottle of water never hurts...
Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post

If your conscience is really seared about this, though, buy some fruit/crackers/cookies, etc. and hand them out. A cup of joe or a bottle of water never hurts...
Good advice. Thanks Cabarone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic