The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Weak Pinky

Anyone else have trouble with their pinky on the fretting hand? Or do I have an unusally weak pinky? I am having a lot of trouble getting it to do what I want. Also, are there any good exersices that might help? Maybe a silly question but it's killing me.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 PM

my pinky likes to lock sometimes- usually doesn't cause problems, but sometimes it does.

I know that my pinky isn't as dexterious (is that the right word or did i just make that up? lol) as my other fingers which get more use in not only guitar - but day to day activities. It sounds silly but I try and do things more with it, like pick up my keys etc - - helps the flexibility and such. Silly me, but it works.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:21 PM

anytime you use your ring finger in a scale, use your pinky instead...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Talking pinky

hey
i used to have a weak pinky. Here's the exercise I used to fix it. (It locked too). Starting on the 6th string at about the 5th fret, play one fret per finger 1,2,3,4. Move to the 5th string and on up to the first, then back down. Then change the pattern 1432, 1342, etc. DO IT SLOW - these are pinky pushups. easy. 5 minutes a day - or even 2 minutes. will have that pinky strong in a month.
Guitars made by Robert Steinegger
National
Maker of custom strat and tele style electrics.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 PM

The best way to strengthen your pinky for playing is to use it as often as possible, there's no shortcut. It takes awhile, but regular use is the only way to do it. You could practice scales or other drills that utilize all four fingers, also don't forget to practice slurs (hammer ons and pull offs) with your pinky as well. Eventually you should be able to use it like any other finger. I can perform slides, bends, and anything else with my pinky that I can perform with my other fingers, but it took months of dedicated practice to achieve that (and I'm still not satisfied with it). If you are at a point where your pinky doesn't want to cooperate at all, then the suggestion to use it in place of your third finger might help. You should also play as slow as needed to play the notes cleanly and don't worry about speeding up or playing at tempo until you can play it perfectly.

"Wisdom has its limitations, ignorance knows no boundaries"
Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 PM

Thanks guys. I figure it would take alot of practice and repetition. your support really helps.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:49 AM

Default A weak pinky is always better than a pink winky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart
are there any good exersices that might help? Maybe a silly question but it's killing me.

that being said... play scales using your pinky as well as your other fingers.
if you play single string passages, dont avoid using you pinky because it seems easier... the best exercise is to use the right finger, esp. the weak one.

rick
Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 PM

This may sound crazy, but try wearing a ring on your pinky finger. Find one that is alittle loose, so you have to make a small mental effort to keep it in place. Most of the problem with the pinky is with control, getting it to do what your brain tells it to. It has really helped me, I think.
And of course, practice, practice, practice...
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenhigh
... but it took months of dedicated practice to achieve that
I would have expected you to say years... Unfortunately for me that's the only bone I have ever broken so it might be a little worse than average. It's getting better. I tried playing for a while without using my index finger at all to coordinate the movements of the other three fingers more articulately but it really, really hurt only after a little bit of play. I've settled on just trying to not let get away with anything I wouldn't let slide with my other fingers.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Try one of these, it does the trick for me.

http://www2.musiciansfriend.com/products/Cb1602.jsp

Old 01-28-2005, 03:53 PM
AGF Bouncer

Darren is pretty much right on the money.

The best thing to do to build finger strength (hand strength in general) is just to play. Concentrate on using all of your fingers.

Use the "4 frets/4 fingers" rule. If you are spanning 4 frets in anyway (scalar, chordal, etc) make sure you aren't pushing your pinky out of the way to use your ring finger on the same fret.

When I tought for a living, I caught a number of players doing that often. Many players, professional and otherwise, still do it. Drives me crazy.

I had a slightly weirder problem; I had a weak ring finger. I never used the thing. I do have fairly even hand strength now across all four as I've made a concerted effort and done some very helpful exercises I'd developed for finger strength.

Try this one:

1) Put the pick down (if you play with one).

2) Put all four fingers on the G string on frets 5 6 7 and 8 (C, C#, D, D#; chromatically).

3) While keeping your first THREE fingers on the G STRING firmly fretted, lift your pinky and hammer-on the 8th fret on the D STRING. Speed isn't necessarily important, but you'll find as you get stronger, you'll do it faster anyway.

4) Do each one for a minute or so, then move to the next finger. But always keep the fingers that are not hammering the D string firmly planted on the G string below it.

That exercise has been great for me alone. It helped me recoup from a pretty nasty hand injury about 8 years ago.

I have a ton of exercises, one day I'll do some sort of thing and post them all. They all help with right/left hand syncopation and finger independance. Most are pick-based, but you could certainly do them fingerstyle if so inclined.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:26 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Arthur Rubenstein, the famous pianist, reportedly stated that something to the effect that his little fingers were the weakest part of his technique. It ain't just you.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-29-2005, 03:20 AM

Cut it off, and press on !

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5
Cut it off, and press on !
I have thought about this option many times ...
But I think I'll just try to use it more.

I am using your exercises with some success. It is hard to break bad habits.
I like the four finger rule and am working on it.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey
I have a ton of exercises, one day I'll do some sort of thing and post them all. They all help with right/left hand syncopation and finger independance. Most are pick-based, but you could certainly do them fingerstyle if so inclined.
count one in for being very interested in seeing what you have

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell