The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Default Converting the pup in a Rainsong

Anyone have experience doing this? The pickup in my Rainsong is dropping out/ getting weak on the high e string when I play above the 12th fret. I'm wondering about installing a K&K and wiring it into the on- board pre-amp on the Rainsong. Feasible? Bad idea?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:02 PM

There are others who undoubtedly have more knowledge than I on this, but I'll take a shot.

As far as I understand you don't need to wire a k&k to an active system- k&ks are passive pickups. You could just get the current wiring configuration at the end pin "out of the way" so to speak (and this could be done without removing the current onboard pre on your guitar), and replace with the k&k- simple as that.

The issue that you will have is a lack of control over your signal. Many who use the k&k are running them through an outboard preamp of some kind and the market is full of options for the acoustic guitarist. It then just becomes an issue of your preferences and a little bit more cash out of pocket to get your system complete. I just wish barn door electronics were smaller so that when one decides they don't want it anymore, or to pay to have it serviced by a tech when they go bad, they can have a qualified person turn the hole into a aesthetically pleasing soundport. I would love to do that to my Breedlove and get rid of the dinosaur of a Fishman Classic IV that is on it.

You post a great question and remind me of why I will never buy a guitar with onboard UST/ preamps again!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM

I'm definitely not an expert, but I believe that the K&K requires a very flat surface to adhere to, so make sure that your Rainsong has that.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Yeah you're right ... I completely forgot about the Fishman being an active pickup. I'm already using K&Ks in a couple of my other acoustics, so I have a couple of pre-amps that I could use. I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave the Fishman in place and just install a K&K and wire it to the existing end-pin. I could take the battery out of the Fishman to de-activate it while using the K&K I suppose.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

I put a K&K in my parlor. Disconnected the UST and wired in the K&K to the same connection. Works great. Easy to put back if necessary.

I did the same with a WS1000 years ago and had similar success.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM

This is probably an unpopular answer, but this sounds like something that could be fixed through a proper setup. If you like the pickup otherwise, it might be worth taking it in for a setup before you abandon the whole thing.

That being said, I hear nothing but good things about the K&K, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber