The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I was fortunate in my visit to LA Guitar, got to play L13, Shorty, RS Parlor, and McPherson Kevin Michael... side by side with my WS1000, shop was empty so I played for hours... what a GREAT day!

For me, there was no question as to the better option in small bodies (none of them had the OOOOMMPH of my WS1000, but all had great tonal qualities)... the Lucky 13 is an amazing player experience. There are 3 soundholes on the L13... soundboard, lower bout side, headstock... the result is unique for the player... different and extremely satisfying. I also preferred the look, the body size, and the playability of the L13.

PS: I got to play them all thru the Schertler Jam 150... WOW! No question what my next amp will be.

Each to his own, only you can decide, but for me it was a no-brainer. I just sold my Fishman Soloamp and I'm getting the Schertler... am now selling all 4 of my guitars, and the L13 will be my only guitar. I am simplifying my life, and I found a guitar/amp solution that, for me, is a superior solution.
How rare to have the opportunity to play all those guitars side by side. LA is probably the only place? Makes your review much more telling. Interesting the traction the L13 is getting.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Much like bilder99 I too am going to simplify and have the Blackbird Lucky 13, Zoom A3, Fishman Loudbox Mini as my only rig...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Guest 720

Just curious, I preferred the L13 sound when playing (slightly over Shorty) but not when listening when someone else was playing. I am guessing the three holes help with volume etc to the player, but don't really project to a listener?
Thoughts on this?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM

I recently had a friend play it and it was the first time I was in front of the guitar and was surprised/impressed how loud it was. The music sounded as if it was coming off the bridge rather than the sound hole...

The AGF member I bought it from made a foam insert for the side port and that also changed the projection of the sound...

Blackbird Lucky 13

Last edited by GrandDadgad; 08-24-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM

I have the 2013 version, so no side port and it sounds much louder when someone else is playing it. Even so, I had an American friend visit me who was sceptical about CF and when he was playing, without having heard me play it beforehand, he was very impressed with the projection (and this is using 11-50s). He's changed is ideas about CF now.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-25-2015, 03:42 PM

As the sound port is cut out after the body is completed, you can order an L-13 without it.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
As the sound port is cut out after the body is completed, you can order an L-13 without it.
Good to know. (I probably wouldn't do so, but good to know)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDadgad View Post
Much like bilder99 I too am going to simplify and have the Blackbird Lucky 13, Zoom A3, Fishman Loudbox Mini as my only rig...
Great rig, I really like the Loudbox products alot, however... before you put your money down, try to find a place you can compare side x side Loudbox with the Schertler Jam. I was very surprised at the degree of difference, never would have believed it unless I heard it. Shertler makes amazing amps.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Just curious, I preferred the L13 sound when playing (slightly over Shorty) but not when listening when someone else was playing. I am guessing the three holes help with volume etc to the player, but don't really project to a listener? Thoughts on this?
Each to his own, but I realized 2 things years ago:
  • I am the one hearing my guitar 98% of the time... what I hear is more important to me than what my audience hears.
  • 98% of people listening don't know the difference in tone, they just know if the song is being played right or not... this is especially true when playing thru an amp.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber