The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Overzealous in purchasing a nice 12 string?

About two years ago I picked up a Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12, easily the nicest 12 string I’ve played. It sounds great, and plays so much better than any 12 I’ve ever picked up. My issue is that I don’t play it too often, and every time I pick it up the neck feels like a monster. I know if I played it daily I would probably get used to it, but my daily player for the last four months has been my Rickenbacker (this probably exasperates thisbprobably, since that neck is far in the small side). My question is....do I keep it and just deal with the changing neck size when switching guitars, or do I move on and give it a new home and hope to one day find a 12 with a neck I like more? I feel bad selling it, everything about it other than the neck is superb, and I’ll likely never buy a 12 if this quality again, but I feel bad having such a nice instrument spend most of it's days in a case.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Seems a simple answer: if you don't play it, sell it. Use the freed-up money for something that brings joy in your life or those around you.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Seems a simple answer: if you don't play it, sell it. Use the freed-up money for something that brings joy in your life or those around you.
That’s definitely the direction I’m leaning. I just feel bad selling such a nice guitar, but it does make sense. I’ve also been craving a Rickenbacker 12 for the songs I’ve been writing lately. Been starting to put together an original band again for the first time in 10 years and have been playing more electric for that.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I have two fine 12 strings. A '64 Martin D12-20 custom and and a Harmony H1270.
Both great - the Martin is "smooth" and the Harmony - rough and jangly.

12s are great but never get played as much as sixes but they are great to provide a change of sound during a set.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Overzealous in purchasing a nice 12 string?

Sell it and buy a Taylor 12 string - they’re the Best! Great sound and the ability to easily play all the way up the neck.

If you don’t like any guitar you’ll play it less. I have a Taylor 454ce 12 string, it’s definitely not my go to guitar but there are songs that scream out for a 12 string and I gladly pick up the Taylor and enjoy the playability and sound.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Sell it and buy a Taylor 12 string - they’re the Best! Great sound and the ability to easily play all the way up the neck.

If you don’t like any guitar you’ll play it less. I have a Taylor 454ce 12 string, it’s definitely not my go to guitar but there are songs that scream out for a 12 string and I gladly pick up the Taylor and enjoy the playability and sound.
I love how it sounds and resonates, just the neck on it. I feel like if I did sell it and hunted for another 12 I’d likely go Guild. Either a D25-12 or a jumbo of some sort. If I sold it now the money will end up in my Rickenbacker pool though. Craving a 330 or 360 12.....I did actually try a Taylor locally before I bought the seagull. For me, I prefer the Seagull. I admit, Taylor makes fine instruments, they just don’t ever quite sound how I want them too though. I appreciate your advice though!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I'm actually in the other camp; I would love to get a Rickenbacker 360/12, but having never played one, I'm afraid of the narrow nut width (as compared to the 1 7/8" necks on the 12 string acoustics I like)...

I guess I should actually go out & try one first...!
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitman View Post
I'm actually in the other camp; I would love to get a Rickenbacker 360/12, but having never played one, I'm afraid of the narrow nut width (as compared to the 1 7/8" necks on the 12 string acoustics I like)...

I guess I should actually go out & try one first...!
They are a very different feel. I can go between the Ric and my DeArmond (which will likely go to make room for a new Ric) with ease. The 12 string Seagull is just a bit too wide in comparison though. If you just want the r C sound in a 12 with a wider neck look at the 660. It’s the same specs as the Tom Petty model and has a wider neck size that a lot of people find much easier to play. I’m headed down to my nearest Ric dealer in a couple weekends and I’m going to try the 12’s (it’s been a few years) and make the decision at that point if I’ll be buying a 12 or 6 string 330 or 360 (I have strong likes for both models for different reasons, and they sound extremely close in sound once plugged in).
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM

Don't forget that Rics string their 12's with the octave strings underneath the primary string - I've never played one but would love to try it out.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Don't forget that Rics string their 12's with the octave strings underneath the primary string - I've never played one but would love to try it out.

That I do know. I e played several, but it’s been a while. Between moving cross country twice and having our first kid music took a break in my life. I’ve been super happy to get back to writing and recording. I truthfully thought my writing was going to go down a more acoustic path, but I enjoy my songs with a bit of tube drive on my Ric. I wrote about ten songs and narrowed it down to four I’m attempting to finish and polish. I think the Ric 12 would compliment them well. I can’t wait to go try some and make my choice. I think I’ve decided today that the seagull will likely go to help fund an electric I’ll use more, even though it’ll make me sad.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post

"Taylor 12 string -they're the Best!" Wow that's quite a statement. Personally I wouldn't own anything other than an older Guild 12 string, which I do. A lot of other folks feel the same way, maybe even a majority. Still there are a lot of options out there, and everyone has his or her own set of hands and ears to form their own opinions as to which is "Best" for them!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
"Taylor 12 string -they're the Best!" Wow that's quite a statement. Personally I wouldn't own anything other than an older Guild 12 string, which I do. A lot of other folks feel the same way, maybe even a majority. Still there are a lot of options out there, and everyone has his or her own set of hands and ears to form their own opinions as to which is "Best" for them!
I thought my Morris was OK until I got my Maton.
I thought my Maton was OK until I got my Taylor.
I thought my Taylor was OK until I got my Guild.
I thought my Guild was OK until I got my Martin.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Default 12 neck

A 12 string neck will always feel different. Twice as many strings takes extra space. I cannot speak to the Seagull, but no 12 string will feel like a 6 string by the same maker.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

You’ll probably never play your twelve string anywhere near as much as any 6 string - if you like it, keep it until you find one you absolutely like more, then sell it. If you sell it now, you’ll probably find yourself jonesing for one in 6 months, and then buy something thats less than ideal.

I bought an incredible Santa Cruz 12 string, and when the muse hits me, its an absolute joy to pull out and play. Even though it doesn’t get played alot, no way I’ll ever sell it - until I play another 12 I decide I want more. Hasn’t happened yet - probably never will.

Try some others whenever you can - but keep the one you have for now -
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I thought my Morris was OK until I got my Maton.
I thought my Maton was OK until I got my Taylor.
I thought my Taylor was OK until I got my Guild.
I thought my Guild was OK until I got my Martin.

You're making me get more GAS......I have played a few Guild 12's (mostly older ones), and always find them enjoyable. The neck feels a bit smaller than my Seagull, though maybe I am imagining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
A 12 string neck will always feel different. Twice as many strings takes extra space. I cannot speak to the Seagull, but no 12 string will feel like a 6 string by the same maker.
I have no grand illusion that it is going to play like my 6 does, but the neck is considerably different than the Ric, which is also my fault for having such a small necked electric. I maybe take it out every two or three months and play it for a couple hours and then it goes back in the case. It sounds phenomenal, it plays great, but the neck just never quite feels right (likely based on what I'm used to playing). If I go with an electric 12 (Rickenbacker), they are the only manufacturer that I know of, acoustic or electric, that make 12's with the same neck as the 6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
You’ll probably never play your twelve string anywhere near as much as any 6 string - if you like it, keep it until you find one you absolutely like more, then sell it. If you sell it now, you’ll probably find yourself jonesing for one in 6 months, and then buy something thats less than ideal.

I bought an incredible Santa Cruz 12 string, and when the muse hits me, its an absolute joy to pull out and play. Even though it doesn’t get played alot, no way I’ll ever sell it - until I play another 12 I decide I want more. Hasn’t happened yet - probably never will.

Try some others whenever you can - but keep the one you have for now -

I think I may let it go and work towards the Ric 12, even though it would be an electric....just to put a guitar of that high of value to somebody who can use it and get a quality guitar that I will use. I wouldn't mind hanging on to it, but if I can get something I will play with the money it is tying up I guess at this point I see that as a plus. I totally understand what you're saying though.....
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion