The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 AM

Default 000-12 fret build - short or long scale

I've got a 000-12 fret build starting, and I was going to go with a long scale (25.4). But I have recently been thinking of using a short scale instead. The back and sides are Mahogany, top is sitka. Any thoughts on the sonic differences between a short and long scale on a 000 12 fret body?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 AM

If you are having the guitar built the luthier will make the scale as 'sonic' as you like

But in general people tend to say you get more volume and sustain and possibly more balance with longer scales. But again that's on widget guitars.

I personally really like the 24.9in scale but that's because of it's playability more than anything else.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Guest 1928

Martin 12 fret 000's are long scale. That's how I would build it, but I like long scale fine and have no issues with playability. You get a little more power and snap, but a good short scale guitar is not exactly underpowered either.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM

Default differences

If the guitar being built is from a kit, it may be less anxiety-causing to build the kit as-designed. If the instrument is scratchbuilt, then the bridge location, bridge plate location, top bracing positions and soundhole location are unique to each scale length. They are not the same. They aren't much different, but they're not the same. Roughly half the difference in scale lengths is consumed between the 12th fret and the nut, the other half between the 12th fret and the saddle. When the bridge plate, bridge, and soundhole travel north, the braces travel with them.

Good luck with the project!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair