The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Ride My Dreams - New Original

Here's my latest. It's a bit of a departure for me, not so much a ballad as my usual. It's one of the first times I heard in my head while writing it, what I wanted the production to sound like. Couple of flubs here and there but we'll fix'em up when my Greatest Hits album is released!

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Ride My Dreams

================================================== =========

Do you see me me, In his arms at night
Do I come to you, when he holds you tight, when he holds you tight
Do you see me
Do I come to you, the way you come to me
The way you come to me

Chorus
Could'a held you hostage with a love that could not be
It’s cause I love you, I set you free
My love was a prison, you didn't want to leave
It’s cause I love you, I set you free

Will you come with me
Will you ride my dreams
Will you ride my dreams

Chorus
Could'a held me hostage with a love that could not be
It’s cause you love me, you set me free
Your love was a prison, I didn't want to leave
It’s cause you love me, you set me free, you set me free
I set you free

I love you
Come ride my dreams

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM
AGF Administrator

Good song and peformance, Roy. Some nice vibrato going on.

Well done on an insightful song.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 PM

I like your set up Roy! Once again, Excellent writing and guitar playing.

Later bro, Mike
Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Sounds great Roy. Lots of tenderness in your lyric and vocal delivery, and a very well crafted song overall. I believe this is my new favorite Ranger song!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Very atmospheric production of a well crafted song...you have a very distinctive sound , great stuff.

Andrew
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Good song and peformance, Roy. Some nice vibrato going on.

Well done on an insightful song.
Thanks Jeremy. I saw your previous post. Hey man, don't be afraid to offer suggestions! In terms of the melody, I'll let that one percolate for a bit. In one regard, I was sort of trying with production and melody to capture some sort of "desperate longing" type of emotion. So I was happy to repeat the melody line with different lyrics arranged differently but I can see where maybe resolving the end of those lines differently could vary it a bit. Right now, I'm sort of "locked in to it" the way it is. Not because I'm unwilling to consider some mods, but becasue I've been playing it over and over. I need some time to lose the sonic imprint of it. On the production, I recently switched to Adobe Audition 5 from 3. I carried over the same settings; guitar 65 left and right, vocals 45 left and right. The other 2 vocal tracks were 15 left and right. I have noticed some differences in how Audition 5 works on reverb and eq. Changing the guitar to a little wider spread is easy. I'll try a little wider on guitars and maybe a little more narrow on vocals. Like I said, easy peasy to play with those settings! Thanks for listening and the ideas!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleman View Post
I like your set up Roy! Once again, Excellent writing and guitar playing.

Later bro, Mike
Thanks Mike. Great to see you around hope all is well. Would love to hear some of your music again!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 AM

Now this one I did like Roy, both vocals and guitar.

Ive already commented how your guitar playing has moved forward, but here I also hear a solid marriage of guitars and voice. Started off a bit shaky on the vocal front but then you got it together well and delivered a song that delivers a mood and a feeling, and I think thats what a song really is meant to do - and you achieved that, welll done mate !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Thanks Jeremy. I saw your previous post. Hey man, don't be afraid to offer suggestions!
No problem. I typically don't offer critique unless it's specifically requested and later I felt bad about my post thinking I might have been too nit picky so I edited the stuff out.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Roy I think this is your most articulate song thus far and really like the way you began with picking it. It builds into the "dream" landscape nicely. Vocally your voice is smooth and tender; nicely appropriated reverb too. I would have liked to hear it come back to the delicate finger pickin' like the intro maybe at bridge or ending but that's just the fingerstyle nut in me talkin'.

Beautiful song my friend;

eric
Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Sounds great Roy. Lots of tenderness in your lyric and vocal delivery, and a very well crafted song overall. I believe this is my new favorite Ranger song!
Thanks Steve! In may ways this is my favorite too. I'm always pleasantly surprised when sincerity of emotion comes through to the listener. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjw View Post
Very atmospheric production of a well crafted song...you have a very distinctive sound , great stuff.

Andrew
Thank you kind sir! I like the notion of "atmospheric production". That is a great way to describe what I was going for in this one. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-23-2013, 06:58 AM

Works well Roy.Has a restrained melancholy that appeals to me.I especially like the extended phrasing of the first three words in the opening lines of the verses.And as others mentioned the atmospherics are especially well matched to the subject matter.
Good one mate.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Now this one I did like Roy, both vocals and guitar.

Ive already commented how your guitar playing has moved forward, but here I also hear a solid marriage of guitars and voice. Started off a bit shaky on the vocal front but then you got it together well and delivered a song that delivers a mood and a feeling, and I think thats what a song really is meant to do - and you achieved that, welll done mate !
Thanks Mark. Thematically this is still in my wheelhouse, but musically, I felt this one was a departure for me. Usually my songs are 78% story and 25% music and mood. This one was 75% music and mood. I enjoyed telling that story with the mood created by the melody and the production. I hope to do more of it. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Roy I think this is your most articulate song thus far and really like the way you began with picking it. It builds into the "dream" landscape nicely. Vocally your voice is smooth and tender; nicely appropriated reverb too. I would have liked to hear it come back to the delicate finger pickin' like the intro maybe at bridge or ending but that's just the fingerstyle nut in me talkin'.

Beautiful song my friend;

eric
Thanks Eric! NOW I wish I had come back to the picking to slow it down and create a dreamy fade out! Great idea. I'm usually working sooooo hard to shorten songs that I cut and cut pieces to get near the 4 minute mark. This one had some room for your idea. If I redo it I will certainly incorporate that. I already worked out the arrangement! Thanks for commenting and your support!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell