The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2018, 06:20 PM

This unfinished back shows mineral deposits (white lines) in Martin wood rejected for the existence of deposits. I remove them before finishing. It's not worth Martin's time to remove them, but it is for me.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Now that I have term mineralization (mineral streaks, etc.) I was able to google pics that look exactly like mine, and yours corroborate.

I wonder why the special treatment wasn’t given to my R. Taylor, but that’s getting beyond the original question. I guess The mineralization can happen after construction or there was a desire not to mess with this perfect piece of wood (wishful thinking).
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM

Happens while growing. Limestone (or other minerals) from the soil carried by water into the tree.

It got past the Taylor inspectors (unless it's a desired feature like striped ebony).

Martin probably got tired of returns so it's a cause for rejection in their shop.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Default R Taylor cocobolo back: is this a crack? Should I bring to luthier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Happens while growing. Limestone (or other minerals) from the soil carried by water into the tree.

It got past the Taylor inspectors (unless it's a desired feature like striped ebony).

Martin probably got tired of returns so it's a cause for rejection in their shop.

Disappointing in a superficial way that the most expensive guitar I ever bought is also the first one to have such glaring mineral streaking. Different woods than mostly Gibson and Fender electrics, granted, but I have had several lower end classical guitars, Yamaha, Takamines (2) and a Hirade, all rosewood backs and sides, and none of them had streaks like this.

Even if it’s fantasy, I will choose to believe this was a tone over appearance decision. I had never seen or heard of mineral streaking until last week, so I can’t imagine how the builders at R. Taylor would know nothing about this guitar, especially because now I understand the more even streaks all along the sides are also mineralization. The Mineral Monster, they called it. The price just tripled.

Last edited by donSpice; 02-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM

This is the same back after about 20 minutes of demineralization (and French polishing) using Exacto knife, brass bristle brush, and vinegar. 20 minutes that will not be spent in a factory.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 PM

That’s beautiful. Nice!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donSpice View Post
Disappointing in a superficial way that the most expensive guitar I ever bought is also the first one to have such glaring mineral streaking. Different woods than mostly Gibson and Fender electrics, granted, but I have had several lower end classical guitars, Yamaha, Takamines (2) and a Hirade, all rosewood backs and sides, and none of them had streaks like this.
All comment are assumptions we are making from a picture on our computer screens.

The guitar is 9yrs old, for peace of mind, go see someone that knows Taylor guitars, then they can tell you exactly what is happening

I dis-agree with mineralisation, whilst yes it is a phenomenon that occurs, I viewing your supplied photo think that is not what is occuring, to me it looks more like a grain filler / repaired area.

Without having it in my hands, I too am making assumptions.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Agreed you should take it to someone. But I'd add that OP should not set himself up for disappointment when they say it's just part of the wood. To me, this does not look like a crack whatsoever.

I'd actually say it looks like "just a long-*** grain." Like, when you think of the back wood as a bundle of straws laid out together, if one straw just gets the top of its cylinder shaved off for an inch or two, that's the look it presents. I'd suggest this can be possible and common without it even being a mineral deposit.

Cocobolo is a wood with big pores, sometimes wild grain changes, and high oils content. Look at a bunch of differently finished guitars to see the effects different finish techniques have on this structure. Sometimes the pores will look entirely black, other times browner, sometimes almost clear like you can see into them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair