The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Music/artist selection

So my Daughter who is still pretty new to singing and guitar playing has been asked to play on a Friday night at a local bookstore from 7-9pm. She needs to learn some more songs but as you can hear in her videos I'm posting that her vocal range is limited. We are trying to figure out which artists style she resembles the most. I just can't make a connection from any other artist to her voice. Any songs or artists suggestions are appreciated. Anything from the 70's to current.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Tell your daughter she's doing a fine job. I heard in the second video where she goes down to the octave, rather than going up... I'd call that: her style. She is handling it within her range.

For young people, I suggest playing songs they like and that have meaning to them, rather than learning the song list of a particular artist. It takes courage to get up there first time - she is right on track.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 PM

She has a pleasant voice and plays the guitar competently. She appears to sing an alto part. Many of the female singers today will have a range from alto up to soprano. She should sit in front of a piano at some point and do the scales until she identifies the top of her comfortable range. Whatever that top note is, I usually stick to 1/2 or a full step below it for most songs. You can't sing for 2 hours at the top of your range unless you're a professional. Maybe some Sheryl Crow, KD Lang type of stuff?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Thanks guys for your input. She is a drummer so we can't hold that against her lol. She's been performing for over 500 people practically every Sunday for the past 4 years in 3 different worship groups and she if very comfortable. She also has sang and played guitar out places 15-20 different times but nothing more than 4 songs at a time. She needs to add more secular music to her lineup for the gig coming up.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Do you have satellite radio? If so, have her listen to the coffee house channel. Good stuff there for her to draw from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Nice she's got her own style going to my ears I'm not skilled at comparing styles unless its blatantly obvious. Drummer huh cool enjoy the times ahead

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 PM

Martingitdave, Yes we do but really never messed around with it. I have a couple of the channels programmed but didn't know about that one . Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Martingitdave, Yes we do but really never messed around with it. I have a couple of the channels programmed but didn't know about that one . Thanks for the advice.

It's channel 14 on my radio. Not sure is that is universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 PM

A more pleasant voice than my singing voice. I note both samples are slower songs. One artist that occurs to me whose material that would fit into that strumming style and a lower female voice would be Courtney Barnett.

A more up-tempo song that would change the pace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrudQwyldE

and less rocking song from the same artist that I've performed with my more limited voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cNwtN5PK4Q

That "Hallelujah" version is already in the repertoire, but dozens of Leonard Cohen songs are out there that haven't had as many covers. Not all of them are crowd pleasers however.

Mose Allison songs as he recorded them are more harmonically complex than they have to be. If you strip them back a bit to simpler chords they strum along well, can be done at brisk tempos, and the wry humor sits well with audiences.

Some ideas anyway.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell