The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Please choose your peference
I prefer guitars made in Mexico to China 31 16.06%
I prefer guitars made in China to Mexico 17 8.81%
I buy only US made Guitars 36 18.65%
I don't care where my guitar was made 109 56.48%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I can't help but wonder whether decisions made about this matter are based on the perceived quality of the product or about nationalistic or ethnic bias.

In the years shortly after World War 2, there was understandable antagonism to our former enemies.

However the Allies helped rebuild the nations that we shattered, and they worked hard to retain their economic power.

Then there was the Cold war, and of course, a number of dismal proxy wars.

Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and China have changed. They are deeply involved in world economics by trade, rather than aggression, and importantly,they are making what we in the "west" want.

It is and always has been a sound business strategy to compete on quality, and that took time, but is no longer an issue.

Competitive price strategy is also a long established methodology. Why do we resent it?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM

I think it's unfair to those Mexican luthiers when american companies didn't give them a chance to really show people what they can do.
What's Martin give them? X series.
What's Taylor give them? 2XX series and below.

I really want to see those Mexican luthiers making something like D-28 or 814ce and then I can judge who's better,compare to Eastman and Blueridge (Chinese).So for right now, if I have to choose between Mexican or Chinese. I would go for Chinese (Eastman to be exact ).
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM

I voted for the "don't care" option. And I truly don't.

Of the instruments I own, by far and away the most have been built in the United States, with Canada coming in a strong second (Larrivee, Seagull and Simon & Patrick.). As for the rest, there are a couple from Japan, maybe two or three from China, possibly one or two from South Korea. Are we counting harmonicas? If so, I've got a regular little motorcycle gang of German-made harmonicas.

But truthfully, I really don't care where any of them come from. Either they sound good and play well or they don't. Nationalism doesn't factor into the equation for me.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I can't help but wonder whether decisions made about this matter are based on the perceived quality of the product or about nationalistic or ethnic bias.
I specifically didn't ask that question, and would rather folks keep that info to themselves so as to avoid discussions that might get sensitive.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM

I bought a Chinese made Yamaha in 1979. Everything else has been Canadian made Seagulls, Larrivee, Halcyon.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 04-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Are there any commercial guitar makers in Iceland? (Check out post #10 in this thread)
Post #10 was meant to be joke.

My apologies if I insulted any Icelandic guitar companies.

Update: Had to look it up. There is, apparently, one guitar luthier in Iceland. http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/0...y-guitar-maker

Last edited by zmf; 04-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:35 PM

There are millions of Mexican and Chinese workers and I'm sure that if they made an effort they could all produce quality instruments. While it wasn't always the case, nowadays quality really isn't the issue.

But if I were forced to choose between a guitar made in Mexico and one made in China, I would assess the instruments for what they are as both countries of origin are equally appealing/unappealing to me. Perhaps I'd have a slight bias toward Mexico.

That being said, if I were forced to buy Mexican I'd much rather have a bajo sexto than a watered down version of an American instrument.

Same with China. I'd rather have one of these (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_instruments) than a Fengder (sic) made by Master Tran and family.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM

I would say Mexico mainly due to the ability of US based staff to have a more hands on relationship with the factory. The other factor is that Mexico has some existing cultural affinity with the instrument and that's more important than you might think.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for --- it's about the guitar, not the country. All my current guitars were made in the USA, so I suppose that was my choice, but it doesn't reflect the bias of the poll.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:05 PM

I have mostly all USA made guitars, but I have to admit my two current favorites are both MIJ, a Pro Series Takamine and a 80s MIJ Fender Strat.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I answered Mexico because the Martins, Fenders and Taylors made in Mexico are made in factories that say Martin, Fender and Taylor on the sign over the front door. Other than Eastman and Yamaha, it seems that the guitars made in China are made in anonymous factories that partner with the Named company that may or may not have ever made a guitar before.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I would say Mexico mainly due to the ability of US based staff to have a more hands on relationship with the factory. The other factor is that Mexico has some existing cultural affinity with the instrument and that's more important than you might think.
Speaking as an outsider I won't get involved in the poll but the first thing I thought of is that Mexicans have been making guitars for a long, long time which more likely than not plays a big part of how the instrument translated into American culture in the first place. To put it bluntly they probably know a thing or 2 about guitars & how to build them, a point not to be overlooked.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I answered Mexico because the Martins, Fenders and Taylors made in Mexico are made in factories that say Martin, Fender and Taylor on the sign over the front door. Other than Eastman and Yamaha, it seems that the guitars made in China are made in anonymous factories that partner with the Named company that may or may not have ever made a guitar before.
Here is a picture of the entrance to the Gibson factory in Qingdao, China.
Click on the link for more pictures.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gibso...gVyjnd_USv_3M:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henryinchina.jpg (46.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Like many others here have said, if it sounds good, plays good and is put together well, I couldn't care less where it was made. I don't have any national allegiance, prejudice or preference. USA, Mexico, Canada, China, Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, Korea, Germany, Great Britain; they've all had some of my money in exchange for musical wood, since 1966.

Last edited by AndrewG; 04-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 PM

When ever possible, and for the most part, all things being relatively equal - - - I buy American made products.
Been doing that long before Trump was visible on the political horizon

Some parts sourced elsewhere, that's ok with me as it really is a global business arena.
Import and export of raw materials and small parts is just a part of that greater economy.

I like things made here - - -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion