The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Love my VA! Also, I have put it through the trials on traveling internationally and it has done superb! The Journey Overheads also look cool, but I am mostly attracted to the idea of being able to consolidate my work carry-on (computer, etc.) with my guitar carry-on. It can be done with the VA, but it is pretty cramped.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM

+1 for Voyage Air. Very happy with my VAOM-06.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I've been KNOCKED OUT by each and every Voyage-Air guitar I have played... several all-laminate ones, as well as a few solid top VA's...

They sound as good as (or better than) many "name" guitars that cost more than twice what they do... the back of the neck feels a bit odd and unfinished when you first put your hands on one, but I'm guessing some 0000 steel wool would fix that, and quickly. The playability of these guitars is really nice, too!

I was left with the thought that the fact that these guitars "fold up" for travel is a nice bonus... but the MAIN selling point is the guitar itself! Oh yeah, the few I've tried? When you "collapse" the neck and then restore it for playing? The things are STILL IN TUNE!!! Amazing...

A Voyage-Air OM with a solid top would be my suggestion...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM

has anyone got a yamaha APXT2 and is it any good?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...t2/?mode=model
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I was playing my solid top VA yesterday and my wife (who knows it's a modestly priced guitar) commented on how great it sounded. They're eally pretty amazing.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I've been KNOCKED OUT by each and every Voyage-Air guitar I have played... several all-laminate ones, as well as a few solid top VA's...

They sound as good as (or better than) many "name" guitars that cost more than twice what they do... the back of the neck feels a bit odd and unfinished when you first put your hands on one, but I'm guessing some 0000 steel wool would fix that, and quickly. The playability of these guitars is really nice, too!

I was left with the thought that the fact that these guitars "fold up" for travel is a nice bonus... but the MAIN selling point is the guitar itself! Oh yeah, the few I've tried? When you "collapse" the neck and then restore it for playing? The things are STILL IN TUNE!!! Amazing...

A Voyage-Air OM with a solid top would be my suggestion...
Jseth's comments about the back of the Voyage-Air neck mirror's my own experience. I finally took some very fine sandpaper to the back of the neck and now it feels great.

I also agree with Jseth about the sound of the VA guitars. For the money, they sound way better than they should. I own the VAOM-06, solid spruce top, lam-mahogany back and sides.

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM

I put my vote in for CA or other carbon fiber guitars. They are virtually indestructible and are impervious to the weather. While they don't fold to a convenient size, some, like CA Cargo or Ox, or Blackbird, are quite small and can easily fit in overhead compartments. They are more expensive, but I think their size and durability, as well as their playability and sound, make them ideal for travel.

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM

The Art & Lutherie Ami would suit your needs just fine...a great inexpensive guitar, and they do hold up...mine sounds fantastic. You can't fold it up, but it's still pretty small in its gig bag.

Search the internet (YouTube, etc.) for some examples of the uses to which they're put...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM

Default Travel guitar but still good!

I've just bought a Sigma TM-12 and its lovely! Its almost half the size of my dread and it plays beautifully. The neck width is fine, one of main concerns
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 AM

I've played two Yamaha APXT2 guitars. They were "ok". Reminded me of a fancier Yamaha JR1 with a travel case. For $90 more I'd rather have a Martin LX1.

I think the GS Mini was a great investment, but I have never tried taking it on a plane.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Thx for the review. I found the yamaha overpriced
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Another vote for the Taylor GS Mini. Probably the best sounding travel guitar. Also, the size of the guitar / case isn't much larger than the VA guitar. It has full size tone out of a smaller body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ami, art&lutherie, cedar, guitar, travel