The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Default New tuners for Taylor? Recommendation?

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could give me some options abd/or elementary breakdown of what I'm looking at here.

I just got recently a 2003 710 Ltd. ..and while the guitar, overall, is phenomenal, I'm just not a huge fan of the slightly faded looking, plain gold Taylor tuners. I would much rather a chrome/nickel look, I think it would pop more, or could even see switching to wood tuner knobs to contrast with the cocobolo. Can anyone give advice to a noob about which tuners would be compatible? What would look best? I'd like something uniqye, but not break-the-bank.. I'd like it to be an upgrade, but at the very least, they have to be as good or better than the ones on there already.

I hear so many names.. grover.. Gotoh.. waverly.. etc etc etc. But I don't know anything as far as how they stack up against each other.

Any advice is most welcome. I'll post pics later but I just can't stop thinking how much better some chrome looking knobs would look than the dull gold that's on there now.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

(Tries looking this up and didn't find solid info, so I apologize if this has been asked 600 times)
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Are they like this:

Or like this?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 PM

Gotoh 510's are awesome tuners, and come in several colors and styles. http://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?s...20and%20tuners
You could also just replace the buttons themselves, leaving the existing machines in place.

The two things to watch out for are where the anchor pin is located (6 o'clock, 9 o'clock) and the diameter of the posts (whether or not you need a bushing to fill in a gap for a larger hole).
Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 PM

My vote is for the Gotoh 510s.
Yes, a bit pricey, but wonderful quality and looks.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:15 PM

While I do like the Grovers Taylor used to over the tuners they use today, you really can't go wrong with Gotoh 510s.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:09 PM

Piggybacking on this thread a little — has anyone put open-gear tuners on a normal Taylor headstock?

I have to think they’d look fantastic on some of the models, whether something that has simple 18/28 series-inspired trim like my old 210 or some of these newer vintage-inspired ones like the 500 and 700 series.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Seems the resounding recommendation is for the Gotoh 510s. I haven't even looked at them yet, but definitely an option. To answer HogdonExtreme(sorry for the delay) who asked -- they are the 2nd tuners pictured, not the 1st. they say Taylor, not grover, and look identical to the ones you pictured. after polishing them, they aren't as dull as they were when I got the guitar, but I still think the silver/chrome look would aesthetically look much better than the gold, but I guess that's preference. I've also considered chrome tuners with wood buttons.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. I clicked that stewmac link and just instantly felt lost. I'm assuming that at prices of 40-50$, that is a price for the "per", as opposed to a set of 6... I saw some tuner buttons from Petros guitars that I liked(mehhh.), but were $180 for a set of 6.. just the wood buttons.

I guess another, more pressing issue, would be finding a luthier/guitar tech here in Houston whom I trust and isn't A) guitar center and B) isnt an hour away. anyway thanks for the responses. I would love any other resources that anyone may have, pics of upgrades you've done, suggestions for websites, etc etc. Open gear tuners I think may look OK. I'm open to just about anything at this point; I'm not *hating* the ones that are on here now, but I'm definitely not a big fan. My first two purchases are going to be tuners and a replacement truss rod cover.

anyway,... thanks again.

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 PM

Gotoh 510's are nice tuners, but be aware that they you will have to drill mounting hole for the screw (if your Taylor comes with standard tuners like the current models have). Also, there is a choice of 18:1 and 21:1 ratio. I know a lot of guys like the 21:1's but I think I like an 18:1's better. As they say, Gotoh has a choice of buttons so you shouldn't have any problem finding one that is aesthetically pleasing to you.

Does Taylor offer replacement tuners for their older guitars? While I like the Gotohs I also like the Taylor tuners and if it were my guitar I wouldn't be drilling holes in it... But that's just me.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Didn't realize I'd have to be drilling holes in it to switch to the Gotohs , so that pretty much eliminates that as an option for me. I'm not going to do that.

I am going to a Taylor show next weekend, so hopefully I can learn a bit more there and maybe find something out there. just noticed that if I did switch to chrome, I'd have to switch the strap-button as well.

sounding like more and more work, but at the same time, I want this guitar to be exactly how I like it. It's not that I hate the gold.. they're fine.. but they just don't speak to me. anyway, thanks for the info. this is the kind of information that I need, because putting a bushing in for a different sized hole is one thing. Drilling entirely different holes is a bit outta my league.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:33 PM

There are some Taylor chrome tuners listed in the for sale forum.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

The Gotoh 510’s IMO are the best tuning machines out there. Every solid peghead Taylor I have owned I have upgraded to these. They look good and feel good and they are very accurate. I drill a 1/16” starter hole about 1/8” deep to install each one. Worth the effort.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Didn't realize I'd have to be drilling holes in it to switch to the Gotohs , so that pretty much eliminates that as an option for me. I'm not going to do that.
Not necessarily. Gotoh 510s have a variant that's a drop-in replacement for Grover Rotomatics. If that's what your Taylor has, then there's no hole to drill.

Edit: never mind, I just saw the post about not having Rotos.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 03-09-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
There are some Taylor chrome tuners listed in the for sale forum.
I'd just purchase some stock chrome Taylor tuners...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-09-2018, 09:51 AM

I would also just pick up a set of the chrome Taylor tuners (which are made by "PING" - but not the same Ping that makes golf clubs??).

You can buy all kinds of different tuner buttons (knobs) to fit. If they fit "Schaller", they fit the Ping Taylor ones like you've got.

I bought a set of ebony wooden knobs for my chrome Ping tuners - and I think they look super duper sweet and classy on my 810!

There is NO need to to have technician install the tuning machines if you've ever, ever used a wrench and screwdriver before. Very easy.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll pick up the stock Taylor chrome tuners and put those on for now.. of I decide later I may like something else, I can always switch it up from there. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion