The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
It must be eight weeks already, so it's time for ANOTHER Ovation bash. Man do I love posting THIS video, I absolutely love it!

Let's recap: Six guitars varying in price from $6,500 to $179. List them in your order of preference and spot which one is the Ovation. To the best of my recollection I believe the Ovation was placed first, or was the runner up on the last iteration. And please no arguments about the recording equipment or dead strings sounding superior...

Listen with your ears and not your eyes.

I thought this might be fun, and it kind of was, but I was shocked to discover, as I listened, that I was very much disliking the sound of ALL the guitars; and then I realised that the colouration and distortion of the microphone/audio system was swamping everything else into insignificance. I mean - if you used that system to record (say) an orchestra, or a fine soprano, it would sound appalling.

So I could reach no conclusion at all about the guitars. I think I was whelmed.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:10 AM

Let's consider two identical guitars, one built in China, the other in the USA/Europe, both built to the same standard (and yes, it absolutely is possible given the amount of automation used in both countries). The Chinese guitar will be light years cheaper than the USA/European model for mostly reasons of production cost. So, is the US/European guitar grossly overpriced or the Chinese one an unbelievable bargain? Depends on your perspective, among other things...I won't mention brand snobbery (whoops, there I go!)
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
"Less underwhelmed" means that you actually like them, right? Opposite of "more underwhelmed" or something like that.

By the way, if one can be underwhelmed then can one also be whelmed?
Are you gruntled?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Are you gruntled?
Only on Tuesdays......

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I've hears so many people say this guitar or that sounds as good as guitars costing twice as much I'm curious what those guitars are for they must be the ones that play way below their cost.
I've heard (and seen) people say that guitar X blows guitar y out of the water and I wonder how and why guitar X did that and . . . you know, what the heck was guitar Y doing in the water?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I've heard (and seen) people say that guitar X blows guitar y out of the water and I wonder how and why guitar X did that and . . . you know, what the heck was guitar Y doing in the water?
It's what happens when you don't have good humidity control.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion