The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Play Electric without an amp help.

What's my options if I want to play an electric guitar without an amp? What software do I need to plug directly into my laptop and use my laptop speaker/headphones. Or into my android smart phone?

Not looking to record or have drums tracks, just looking to replace an amp with laptop or android phone, or some inexpensive device. All I really need is to be able to go from clean to distortion.

Edit: Is this something that will get me what I need?
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...d-boost/351267

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 02-09-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 PM

IK Multimedia iRig and app for smartphone:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...4MF-adType^PLA
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's my options if I want to play an electric guitar without an amp? What software do I need to plug directly into my laptop and use my laptop speaker/headphones. Or into my android smart phone?

Not looking to record or have drums tracks, just looking to replace an amp with laptop or android phone, or some inexpensive device. All I really need is to be able to go from clean to distortion.

I use the same little Vox plug, works great.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
IK Multimedia iRig and app for smartphone:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...4MF-adType^PLA
dru: i'd recommend this. i believe it comes with free software that will allow you to get heavy. if not, there are free apps online.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Thanks for the link - I'll do some reading on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Thanks Paleo. You just plug your headphones into it and your guitar cable, right? Nothing else required except the batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
dru: i'd recommend this. i believe it comes with free software that will allow you to get heavy. if not, there are free apps online.

play music!
Thanks muscmp. Another vote for iRig.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
These work really well, especially when you need to play quietly (others are asleep, hotel rooms, etc.). Cheap, compact and easy to travel with.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link - I'll do some reading on it.

Thanks Paleo. You just plug your headphones into it and your guitar cable, right? Nothing else required except the batteries?

Thanks muscmp. Another vote for iRig.
Dru, bear in mind you don’t need a cable. Vox box directly into output jack on guitar. Headphones directly into the Vox. And you’re done. Gives a really nice clean, decent crunch and decent “burn “. Note that briefly pressing the Power button is how you change channels. Decent sound, very simple, dirt cheap. Hard to beat (and I have tried much more expensive solutions.)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
These work really well, especially when you need to play quietly (others are asleep, hotel rooms, etc.). Cheap, compact and easy to travel with.
That's the plan. Something I can keep in the hotel.

Quote:
Dru, bear in mind you don’t need a cable. Vox box directly into output jack on guitar. Headphones directly into the Vox. And you’re done. Gives a really nice clean, decent crunch and decent “burn “. Note that briefly pressing the Power button is how you change channels. Decent sound, very simple, dirt cheap. Hard to beat (and I have tried much more expensive solutions.)
Thanks. I think this is what I'm going to buy. I'm looking for something with some moderate gain (think '80s metal). I'm guessing the Classic Rock will sound better than the Metal version .
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 AM

I have a Line 6 Pocket Pod that is really slick. I like the different amp sims. You can use it with headphone and plug it into a amp.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM

An amp sim like a Joyo American Sound to powered speakers, computer or sound system input works well for me.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I recently got one and I love it. I get up early in the morning and plug my phone with a backing track into it, earphones out and go to town. Very enjoyable. Great sound, simple to use.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
I recently got one and I love it. I get up early in the morning and plug my phone with a backing track into it, earphones out and go to town. Very enjoyable. Great sound, simple to use.
This is a good point, it has an input that you can play your laptop or ipod or whatever in it. I practice off of videos a lot and you can plug that in and play over it, works great.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's the plan. Something I can keep in the hotel.

Thanks. I think this is what I'm going to buy. I'm looking for something with some moderate gain (think '80s metal). I'm guessing the Classic Rock will sound better than the Metal version .
I think this will work well for what you want Dru. Have fun!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM

The vox amplug is a good shout. You can plug an audio source (phone, laptop, etc.) into it via a 3.5mm jack plug and play along.

If you're looking for something to plug into your PC, I can recommend the iRIG HD. Great sound quality with low latency, and you can use it with windows if you download the drivers online. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, you can go for the iRig 2, which plugs straight into the microphone input on your laptop. They're pretty good for basic stuff, but I find if you want a good quality recording, you're better with the HD model.

Last edited by deju1980; 02-14-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 AM

The Zoom G1Xon will drive headphones as well as an amplifier, PA or computer line input. I record with mine into my computer and it works great. Many of the patches are stereo. It's cheap, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars