The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM

Default How much board do u like outside the strings?

Like the title says, how much fretboard do like outside the E strings? I'm looking for numbers in either inches or mm. A short description of why you like that spec might be interesting too.

I hate slipping off the end of a fret.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Within reasonable limits it's usually more about how the fret ends are finished off (angle and width of taper).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Wink The standard nut

is 1/4” wider than the string spacing at the nut, which allows about an 1/8” of fret board outside of the E strings.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM

I agree with Derek that it is the fret ends, as well as the player's technique.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Within reasonable limits it's usually more about how the fret ends are finished off (angle and width of taper).
This has been my experience as well.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD123 View Post
is 1/4” wider than the string spacing at the nut, which allows about an 1/8” of fret board outside of the E strings.
This is the sweet spot for me on the guitars that I play regularly. I know that folks who wrap their thumb sometimes like the low E closer to the edge of the board but my left hand won't tolerate that technique.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Would this 1/4" be 1/8" from the edge of the string to the start of the fret bevel, then another 1/8" from the start of the fret bevel to the side of the fretboard?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM

around 2 mm is fine. I got use to even closer back in the 70's 80's when the MIJ's around at the time were a little crowded at the nut and I use to get a new nut cut with wider spacing. Once your use to it the E's never fall off the edge.

interesting how the modern thinking is to keep the E strings fairly inboard, The string spacing on some 1 3/4 boards is hardly wider than many 1 11/16 boards
Old 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Would this 1/4" be 1/8" from the edge of the string to the start of the fret bevel, then another 1/8" from the start of the fret bevel to the side of the fretboard?
It the question in regards to a specific guitar you have where your finger slips off and you are considering making a new nut for it? If so, try sliding the nut a fraction one direction or the other to see what it takes to eliminate the problem. If neither side causes the finger to slip off then great. If fixing one side causes problems on the other side you can use the info you got about making a new nut.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM

No. For instance 1.75 nuts usually have 1.5"
String spacing. That's why the amount fret bevel can impact playability. You want some, so it doesn't feel rough, just not too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 PM

I like 3/16 on the e side and 1/16 on the E side. I can play melodies, fingerstyle, cleaner with more space and the big string almost never slips off, super rare. If Im cognizant of it I could say never but I usually just let the bass string do what they do and I focus on the melody.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:40 AM

Enough that the high E won't slip off. Never had trouble with the low E being thicker and higher tension, but I've picked up guitars that the low E could easily slip off the edge. No thanks.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been shot down for saying this in the past, but this is my understanding as well.

1/8" bleed.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Default The standard nut...On a 1-3/4" nut width

Quote:
This has been my experience too, with a 1-3/4" nut. So, the string spacing on a 1-3/4" nut is 1-1/2" (measured from the outsides of the strings). However, on my Taylor and on both of my Martins with 1-11/16" nut widths, the string spacing at the nut is 1-15/32" (1/32" more than it should be using this guideline, and just 1/32" less than it would be on a 1-3/4" nut).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 02-10-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 AM

It's not too expensive to have a Guitar Tech experiment by cutting a nut or two for you, made of plastic. When you've found the perfect spacing have a bone or other nut made to those specs. I have about 1 mm between my high e string and the edge. It's very rare that I pull it off the neck, and I play fingerstyle, strumming, jazz and blues on it, aggressively.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion