The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 AM

Default Flights from london: Airlines allowing acoustic guitars in a plane's cabin

Are there any air companies operating in The UK allowing to carry acoustic guitars in a bag into the plane's cabin ?

In particular, in the cases with small-body acoustics OOO/OM ? these guitars are smaller and weigh almost nothing - 5-6 pounds with bag.

Thank you for your time and sharing experience, your comments and stories are very valuable.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 AM

I think your best bet would be to call whichever airlines you choose and check with them. The weight isn't an issue, but increased security is.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

I travel a lot with guitars (hard cases, not soft cases) and I’m sorry to say that even individual airlines will vary from flight to flight. Decisions are focused on available space in overheads or in other lockers (e.g. coat lockers), which is complicated by the size of the plane and the passenger loading on individual flights – i.e. small planes and full planes are less likely to be receptive than others.

I even get mixed responses to gate checking; occasionally I think I will get it only to be told that the case needs to go in as oversized baggage.

So like AndrewG said, call the airline. Try to ask about a specific flight, so you do not get a response that is simply their overall policy (which I reckon can generally be summed up as “we’ll do our best, subject to space”).

Good luck!
Col
Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 AM

I think one of the most graceful moves I ever saw at the airport was when a baggage train was going past the gate were I was waiting to board and a bag fell off the baggage train.

The Train made a big circle and with out stopping the driver grabbed the bag and just threw it straight up what seemed like about 50 feet and it landed in about the 3rd or 4th baggage cart behind the tow tractor.

What gracefulness, what timing, what form, what a sack of kindling it would have been if it was an acoustic guitar in a gig bag.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 01-30-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I think your best bet would be to call whichever airlines you choose and check with them. The weight isn't an issue, but increased security is.
DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO!!! They will read the strict rules and probably note the conversation on the system, eg Lufthansa will want £70 each way if it’s counted as an additional bag. Turn up without telling them and they have been, for me, very helpful when checking in and at the gate. I haven’t checked a guitar on a European flight in a decade at least. This includes Calton cases.

Golden rule in negotiating, never ask a question if there is any chance of getting the wrong answer. So, have hand baggage only, check in online and go straight to the gate. Say nothing unless spoken to and get on the plane as early as possible.

I’ve flown literally hundreds of time with guitars and that’s my modus operandi.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO!!! They will read the strict rules and probably note the conversation on the system, eg Lufthansa will want £70 each way if it’s counted as an additional bag. Turn up without telling them and they have been, for me, very helpful when checking in and at the gate. I haven’t checked a guitar on a European flight in a decade at least. This includes Calton cases.

Golden rule in negotiating, never ask a question if there is any chance of getting the wrong answer. So, have hand baggage only, check in online and go straight to the gate. Say nothing unless spoken to and get on the plane as early as possible.

I’ve flown literally hundreds of time with guitars and that’s my modus operandi.
Ok, that may well be your experience. Personally I wouldn't want to take the chance of being turned away and have my guitar tossed in the baggage hold as my only option to not flying with it in the cabin. So, what happens on the day when you encounter less than helpful, rule observing staff; because it will happen.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 PM

I have no idea what British airlines do about guitars, but, generally, whether a guitar can be brought into the cabin is at the discretion of the flight crew.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:26 PM

I fly several times/yr between London and San Francisco, always on United Airlines.

Sometimes I can get my dread-filled Hiscox Pro II case in the cabin, but many times I can't. However, I can always check it at the gate and then have it return with regular baggage.

My advice: Get a Hiscox Pro II case for your guitar and gate check it.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I fly several times/yr between London and San Francisco, always on United Airlines.

Sometimes I can get my dread-filled Hiscox Pro II case in the cabin, but many times I can't. However, I can always check it at the gate and then have it return with regular baggage.

My advice: Get a Hiscox Pro II case for your guitar and gate check it.

I’m travelling from Vancouver to Brussels with a stopover in Montreal. I’m bring my $6000 Martin custom shop acoustic. I’ve never done the gate check thing before and wonder if someone can explain how the process will work step by step?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 PM

Nothing to it, Dave!

1). Get a case worthy of air travel in the event you are forced to check your guitar with regular baggage. For me, a Hiscox Pro II case has worked perfectly

2) Empty EVERYTHING out of the guitar case except your guitar. EVERYTHING! If your guitar has a pickup that uses a battery, REMOVE THE BATTERY (looks like an explosive device under the X-ray machine)

3) Go through security to your gate. Ask the gate attendants if you can take your guitar onboard. If they say “no”, ask to have it gatechecked. They will tag it, give you the claim check, and then it will be hand carried down the steps and placed in the cargo hold. Much better than riding the regular baggage belt!

4) You will meet your guitar at your destination. BE SURE to check the regular baggage turnstile AND the outsized baggage delivery port.

5) Detune your guitar a couple of steps.

6) Place soft clothing around the headstock and anywhere else the guitar is loose, but leave a little “give”.

7j If your guitar incorporates Brazilian rosewood, I strongly recommend you do NOT take it. For more on this check out discussions about CITES.

8) pack your guitar accessories in a clear plastic bag and label it “guitar stuff”. Put this in your carryon or regular checked luggage.

9) Consider insuring your guitar. It’s cheap to do and gives you extra peace of mind. I use USAA Insurance Co. (open only to current or former members of the US Military). Google other companies if you don’t qualify for USAA.

Have a fun trip!

Last edited by 6L6; 01-30-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Nothing to it, Dave!

1). Get a case worthy of air travel in the event you are forced to check your guitar with regular baggage. For me, a Hiscox Pro II case has worked perfectly

2) Empty EVERYTHING out of the guitar case except your guitar. EVERYTHING! If your guitar has a pickup that uses a battery, REMOVE THE BATTERY (looks like an explosive device under the X-ray machine)

3) Go through security to your gate. Ask the gate attendants if you can take your guitar onboard. If they say “no”, ask to have it gatechecked. They will tag it, give you the claim check, and then it will be hand carried down the steps and placed in the cargo hold. Much better than riding the regular baggage belt!

4) You will meet your guitar at your destination. BE SURE to check the regular baggage turnstile AND the outsized baggage delivery port.

5) Detune your guitar a couple of steps.

6) Place soft clothing around the headstock and anywhere else the guitar is loose, but leave a little “give”.

7j If your guitar incorporates Brazilian rosewood, I strongly recommend you do NOT take it. For more on this check out discussions about CITES.

8) pack your guitar accessories in a clear plastic bag and label it “guitar stuff”. Put this in your carryon or regular checked luggage.

9) Consider insuring your guitar. It’s cheap to do and gives you extra peace of mind. I use USAA Insurance Co. (open only to current or former members of the US Military). Google other companies if you don’t qualify for USAA.

Have a fun trip!

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, when I get to Montreal my normal baggage will be checked through to the next flight.

What happens with the guitar?is it checked through as well or do I have to pick it up and gate check it again in Montreal?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertler View Post
Are there any air companies operating in The UK allowing to carry acoustic guitars in a bag into the plane's cabin ?

In particular, in the cases with small-body acoustics OOO/OM ? these guitars are smaller and weigh almost nothing - 5-6 pounds with bag.

Thank you for your time and sharing experience, your comments and stories are very valuable.
I took a guitar in a soft case from London and connection from Istanbul with Turkish Airlines with me to the cabin. Both flights no questions asked.
It was a cheap guitar so I took my chances.
Nevertheless, point is, nobody from the airline ground team or crew cared.

Last edited by ntha; 01-31-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, when I get to Montreal my normal baggage will be checked through to the next flight.

What happens with the guitar?is it checked through as well or do I have to pick it up and gate check it again in Montreal?
Hi Dave

My experience is that you will need to pick it up after each flight. This also gives you the chance to ask for it to go on-board with you on the next flight, which in your case could be a bigger plane and/or a different carrier with a better attitude.

Couple of additions to 6L6’s excellent list:
• Always get a tag when it is gate checked. I have had airline staff in a hurry that have not offered it, but I politely insisted and got one without drama. If anything happens to your guitar, a lack of a tag would make a claim really hard.
• Each time you gate check it is good to ask where it will be made available at the end of the journey – it may be given to you if you wait on the flight bridge, or it may go into the main baggage area.
• Insurance – yes! Especially at the value you mention, which may go well above the limit on any more general travel cover you have (worth checking). Heritage and Andersons both get good reviews on the AGF. I am with Andersons and I find them great to deal with, although I have not made a claim yet.

Col
Old 01-31-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
If your guitar incorporates Brazilian rosewood, I strongly recommend you do NOT take it. For more on this check out discussions about CITES.
Has anybody, while traveling normally with their guitar, actually had the experience of having having the guitar case opened and the guitar confiscated because it contravened CITES regulations?

My guess is that the average customs employee wouldn't know the difference between Brazilian rosewood and Formica.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post

I agree this is probably the best policy. Anytime I have told them I was bringing a guitar in my luggage it's been a big deal, either expensive or inconvenient. I am out in Asia at the moment and am schlepping around a cheap guitar in a gig bag, no problems at all. I say nothing and no one has challenged me yet, not sure about bringing it back through Heathrow, but we'll give it a try!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion