The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Note to self:

When receiving Rodger's bills for said McKnight Guitar commercials - Charge Rodger the McJam rate to cover appropriate bills.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Moving right along. Sure looks nice. Rodger has to be excited.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Don't care if it's my build or someone else's, I just LOVE looking at all the photos (even if sometimes they are difficult to see, given how Tim's cow-catcher mustache gets in the way of the camera now and then. )

Looks like a lovely build, Rodger. Can't imagine but that you're going to be purely delighted!

If McKnight Advertising can be interjected, might I also interrupt briefly and inquire about the "palm rosette?" Inquiring minds wish to know more about the wood!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Smile

I am getting VERY excited.

Although I enjoy the preliminary build steps, it really starts to come together for me when the top/back/sides become one.

It is a sheer pleasure to watch a master craftsman like Tim at work. Having attended all 10 McJams, I have seen first hand what a perfectionist he is. There are no corners cut.

And thanks to Mary for documenting each step along the way - sure, she can be mean, but it's a pleasant mean.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

I can behave... I can do it. It's a steep hill, but I can do it.
I will behave.
I'll answer this real quick. Kurt, truth is, the palm wood was my fantasy rosette for your next McGit. It has sat in the wood room for several years, but Tim debated on if it's worth using due to the excessive splinters. As soon as I saw it here I beamed. I often show it to people who visit the wood room because it screams rosette to me.
I will behave.
.... I have some scrap pieces so I will show you how beautiful it will be after I inlay it on the back of Rodger's guitar.
I will behave now.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Reality is Rodger's guitar is about to get binding and that's a two man job for us. He will get pictures of the gluing process shortly.

I have to get back to work. (Don't I Dennis?)

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I can behave... I can do it. It's a steep hill, but I can do it.
I will behave.
I'll answer this real quick. Kurt, truth is, the palm wood was my fantasy rosette for your next McGit. It has sat in the wood room for several years, but Tim debated on if it's worth using due to the excessive splinters. As soon as I saw it here I beamed. I often show it to people who visit the wood room because it screams rosette to me.
I will behave.
.... I have some scrap pieces so I will show you how beautiful it will be after I inlay it on the back of Rodger's guitar.
I will behave now.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Reality is Rodger's guitar is about to get binding and that's a two man job for us. He will get pictures of the gluing process shortly.

I have to get back to work. (Don't I Dennis?)
Every once in a while I check out a wood seller I have bought from and of late it has been hard for me to find enough wood I want for an order. I did see a piece of palm that was meant to be turned into a bowl that I thought would make a few nifty rosettes. There are a few more sets of wood I am contemplating and if I go for it I will now defiantly pick up the bowl blank.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Note to self:

When receiving Rodger's bills for said McKnight Guitar commercials - Charge Rodger the McJam rate to cover appropriate bills.

Intriguing...

I enjoy every one of your build threads. That this one is going to a fellow McJammer makes it especially sweet!
Old 01-13-2018, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil, he will bring this to the McJam and I'm sure he will let you play it. It sure seems like a long time before the McJam will be here.

It's a striking piece of BRW. Kathy and I were just as impressed with the sound in raw form. After Tim completes it we will get to admire it in the complete form.

Maybe you can bring your McUke and play a duo!

[email protected]
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Neil, he will bring this to the McJam and I'm sure he will let you play it. It sure seems like a long time before the McJam will be here.

It's a striking piece of BRW. Kathy and I were just as impressed with the sound in raw form. After Tim completes it we will get to admire it in the complete form.

Maybe you can bring your McUke and play a duo!
LOL. I'm going to hold you to that, Mary and Roger! I will be sure to bring the McUke but TBH I only know a couple of songs on ukulele so it will be short duet.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM

Yep, the Dominator will be at McJam XI. I wasn't planning on it being finished until the McJam, but at this rate it may be ready by Ground Hog Day!

The news today is: the binding is attached! To the video tape... er, pics:

The peg head gets the rosewood covering...

Plenty of glue is applied...

Smooth glue to remove air pockets...

Clamps add more pressure...

Old 01-15-2018, 05:45 PM

The end wedge is cut to fit...

Binding is made ready for the bender...

The binding is spritzed with H20 and enters the binding jig...

So far there is no snap, crackle or pop. This is a good sign!

By George, I think we've got it!

The initial binding channel is in place. Tim sands the edges to get a better look.

This is a good sign!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM

A sealer coat is applied...

This looks brilliant under the sealer...

ACK! Houston, we've got a problem. Figured woods sometimes give us an attitude and simply decide they do not have to obey our rules.

All is not lost. There will be a reason for even the smallest scrap pieces on another guitar.

Just for that the next set of side really gets catered to.

This is more like it. Thank you. Thank you!

A luthier prefers to always have a back up plan when working with figured woods...

Alrighty... now we can get the binding process moving along.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Just a little clip here and there to adjust previous over stepping...

Tim stepped back to the channel router to be sure this is a clean cut...

He double and triple checks to be sure he is pleased with the final cut before binding is added.

This is where we pre-fit the trim and binding and get them glued in place...

This is a 2 man job, but Tim does all the hard work. I'll be sure glue is set, tape is pre-cut and be sure the tape sections are immediately in his range to not have to look up for it. I can snap a picture or two and then I gotta get busy so the boss knows I have his back.

As quality control I tend to point to the holes regardless of how minute they appear.

Ever see the show This Old House? They can repair a major problem in a single half hour and talk about it as if it was difficult Pfft.... In our case, the back is magically complete with binding in the flash of the 2 seconds it took you to flip to this picture. Such a good life!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 PM

Looking awesome Gentleman.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM

I like the direction arrow on the binding router, will put one on mine when I finally work out which router gets that duty. And I broke down and picked up a bottle of SuperSoft. It bothered me that shipping and duty was more than the cost of the bottle but there are some times you really need it. The guitar is looking great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop