The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrvel View Post
Hey Alex, I know it's been quite a long time since this post, but did you ever see this?

Worsham & LR Baggs

Doing that on my acoustic now...
I want to do this too with the M80 and Lyric, how was your experience?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM

Both the M80 and the Anthem are good systems that provide a condensed "dual source" approach in a single system. However, if you want the M80 for producing "electric" sounds, I may recommend going with a different pickup. The M80 is designed to have a pseudo-soundboard transducer/quasi-microphonic quality intended to capture the resonances of an acoustic. Traditionally, players used magnetic pickups for their stability and powerful low-end and blend in a mic or Soundboard Transducer to add back some naturalness that a mag doesn't capture. The M80 isn't as expensive as buying a Sunrise, a K&K, and the appropriate preamp/blenders, but it is awfully expensive to run through distortion and you're undoing its strength in the process. If you want "unnatural" tones from that pickup, there are less costly magnetics of high-quality available.

I also wouldn't rule out using a passive magnetic pickup (or passive anything for that matter). Most mags are passive and almost all players use outboard preamps anyway, so I don't see much benefit in a magnetic pickup being active. In general, I refuse to use active pickups but that's just me.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Dang it...I replied to a zombie thread.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Both the M80 and the Anthem are good systems that provide a condensed "dual source" approach in a single system. However, if you want the M80 for producing "electric" sounds, I may recommend going with a different pickup. The M80 is designed to have a pseudo-soundboard transducer/quasi-microphonic quality intended to capture the resonances of an acoustic. Traditionally, players used magnetic pickups for their stability and powerful low-end and blend in a mic or Soundboard Transducer to add back some naturalness that a mag doesn't capture. The M80 isn't as expensive as buying a Sunrise, a K&K, and the appropriate preamp/blenders, but it is awfully expensive to run through distortion and you're undoing its strength in the process. If you want "unnatural" tones from that pickup, there are less costly magnetics of high-quality available.

I also wouldn't rule out using a passive magnetic pickup (or passive anything for that matter). Most mags are passive and almost all players use outboard preamps anyway, so I don't see much benefit in a magnetic pickup being active. In general, I refuse to use active pickups but that's just me.
Wow, that’s very good information. Too bad I read it late, I already ordered the M80. I also checked recent videos from Worsham and he removed the M80.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Do you guys think that I could use the M80 to run into my pedalboard, and the Anthem just into my Para Acoustic DI + Session DI, them the both signals goind to my Mixer?

I'm considering to do the same thing: two holes on my Acoustic Guitar, two cables. And I could use the Anthem into the Full Tru Mic mode, and not get that nasty quacky sound of the piezo.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Do you guys think that I could use the M80 to run into my pedalboard, and the Anthem just into my Para Acoustic DI + Session DI, them the both signals goind to my Mixer?

I'm considering to do the same thing: two holes on my Acoustic Guitar, two cables. And I could use the Anthem into the Full Tru Mic mode, and not get that nasty quacky sound of the piezo.
if you're willing to put additional jacks in, sure, you could add as many pickups as you like - you might like the results, you might not. More isn't always better. I'd try this setup with the M80 wire running out the soundhole first to see if you like the sound before drilling holes.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
More isn't always better. I'd try this setup with the M80 wire running out the soundhole first to see if you like the sound before drilling holes.
This is a very sensible piece of advice!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Here is my reply to a similar recent question about blending two pickups in an archtop. I would definitely wire the soundhole pu signal to the tip of a TRS jack and the other pu to the ring. One hole in the guitar for one jack. Use a short stereo cord out to the Baggs Mixpro. Mono cord out of the Baggs to whatever amp or PA you desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I use a Kent Armstrong neck mounted mag pickup and a JJB PPS-200 mounted under the soundboard opposite where the the bridge feet contact. Wired up to a TRS jack with mag on top and JJB on the ring. TRS cable out to a Baggs mixpro. then you can blend piezo and mag or go completely one or the other.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:23 AM

Default **New idea** Wiring of a dual active pickup system Anthem and M80

Hey guys
I am planning on doing something very similar to @alexcinca. My aim is to combine the Anthem (for the natural sound part) with an M80Mag (to run through effect chain).
Here is the wiring diagram I came up with. It includes a TRRS Switching Jack from Fishman which should allow me to output 2 channels plus power switching for the Anthem.

My thoughts behind this are:
- Using a TRS cable I can run both together with a 2-Ch amp.
- If playing on a very noisy stage, I can use the M80 in active mode without the Anthem.
- I can just plug in a TS cable if I only wanna use the Anthem or if I'm running a minimalistic setup.
- If I happen to completely run out of battery, I'd still have M80 passive avaliable.
- I know one of either pickups alone would yield a perfectly fine sound. I wanna do this primarily for the purpose of creating something cool and learning new skills!

Open questions from my side:
- I guess If I plug in a TS cable, the M80 Hot and Ground would kinda short-circuit and drain the little battery in minutes or even burn the device..? I'd have to remove the battery or quickly unplug the 3.5mm cable from the M80 before plugging in a TS Cable to avoid this, right?
- I regards to potential cross talk issues: Definitely not a master of impedance, but the two output impedances seem to be quite similar (Anthem 650 Ohm, M80 (active mode) 1.5kOhm). In combination with twisted quality cables, what are the odds of still running into issues?

Thinking even further..
- My ultimate goal would be to have one battery pack that supplies the needed voltage/current to both pickups and is chargeable through a USB port or so. Wondering if that's technically even possible and how much of a hustle that would be to build such a circuitry .

Thanks heaps in advance for thinking through this with me!

Img 1 Wiring diagram:

Img 2 Optional battery pack idea:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem, baggs, m80, pickups