The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 AM

Just now heard of these and they sound very juicy. The A48 looks awesome and the A14 is not much more expensive than a Mackie Freeplay. Chinese toy vs Made in the West QUALITY. No plastic junk here. Studio monitor quality. I really, really like. Getting all hot and bothered, GAS flare up, panting breath. Good Karma points vs the freeplay/maui 5?

Dear Santa........
Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Just now heard of these and they sound very juicy. The A48 looks awesome and the A14 is not much more expensive than a Mackie Freeplay. Chinese toy vs Made in the West QUALITY. No plastic junk here. Studio monitor quality. I really, really like. Getting all hot and bothered, GAS flare up, panting breath. Good Karma points vs the freeplay/maui 5?

Dear Santa........

NotValid, I don’t want to be a party pooper, but you should try and test drive these before ordering. There’s a lot to like for sure. But, there are some advantages to the cabinet design of the FreePlay in distributing sound more efficiently at very light weight.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 AM

Is anyone concerned that its only 40watts bi-amped. I wish it were higher. Nice features but a bit more juice would be nice too. I understand that brings the weight up. Its all a trade off.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info! Never heard of them. Checked it out and I'm definitely getting one!

I like the M2-6 for its angled shape and slightly larger woofer but the A2-5 has 48v phantom which I think I prefer as it would enable me to use my condenser mic. The A2-5 is also $100 cheaper than the M2-6.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
NotValid, I don’t want to be a party pooper, but you should try and test drive these before ordering. There’s a lot to like for sure. But, there are some advantages to the cabinet design of the FreePlay in distributing sound more efficiently at very light weight.
I'm still debating on getting the freeplay. But everytime I look at it I think its just another disposable electronic landfill waste. How long until they stop updating their app and want you to buy something new instead? This EAE on the other hand is made with wood and metal and its made in the U.S with wage and environment regulations. When the mackie craps out what do you do? You throw it away. And when the EAE craps out? You get it fixed and she's good as new, like in the old days manufacturing things meant to last.
Plus this is mostly for me and small yoga studio performances so I need to make sure I can hear how bad I suck in the highest fidelity possible. And everyone comments how these things sound like studio monitors.
But I would like to try them out for myself.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 PM

Let me know how it goes. I’m intrigued by these units. They certainly have a lot to like.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Thanks for the info! Never heard of them. Checked it out and I'm definitely getting one!

I like the M2-6 for its angled shape and slightly larger woofer but the A2-5 has 48v phantom which I think I prefer as it would enable me to use my condenser mic. The A2-5 is also $100 cheaper than the M2-6.
Sweet. Let us know how she sounds. I'm checking out A4-8 because of its 8" woofer, looks like that would sound best for a small e-drum set with a kick drum. Plus it has 4 channels so I wouldn't need a mixer. Not too many YT videos of these things but the ones they do have sound really good. No chance for me to demo locally so I will most likely order from Thomann since they have a good return policy.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:10 AM

Hi! Has anybody actually tried one of these amps? I think i'll get the A4br8 but there are not so many reviews on the internet...
Old 12-18-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAcceptMe View Post
Hi! Has anybody actually tried one of these amps? I think i'll get the A4br8 but there are not so many reviews on the internet...
There are a few members here on AGF that has one of the EAE/Sunburst Gear amps. Not one bad word has been said. The only criticism is from people that needs more than 40w. I believe that need is going to be met soon as well as them coming out with a PLA like the Bose L1c or Maui 5. Can't say when they will be released as they wouldn't give me much info about products yet to be released. That said what they have now is quite versatile as many people seem to use these for small intimate gigs, personal monitors or even studio monitors for recording. Sound quality seems superb, almost always described as HiFi.
I was planning on getting one for myself for Christmas but I needed new hockey skates which cost the same as the A4-8. I play in a beer league 2x a week. Anyways my birthday is in January, so I will wait until NAMM to make my purchase descision.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:18 AM

Default Elite Acoustics Engineering D6-8

I just pre-ordered an Elite Acoustics D6-8 from the batch that is going to be made sometime in January 2018. The existing ones are completely sold out. Preorder price is $850 plus $40 shipping to Florida. They are throwing in the $70 carry bag.

I only expect the 40 watts to be enough for small listening gigs or as a monitor and mixer on larger gigs. That’s ok though. Most bigger places have some sort of a house PA anyway, and when they do, either there aren’t monitors or they have them but they suck. In bigger rooms without a house PA, I have several other systems. I’m buying this without trying it so I know I’m taking a chance. I expect it will be pretty amazing though. I’ll post what I think of it here after it arrives.

Last edited by lkingston; 12-20-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM

I don’t get the reason for the master eq section. On the A4-8, you already have 3-band eq on the 2 main channels. On the A2-5 and M2-6, you have great eq on channel 1 and no eq on channel 2 so why not just put the 3-band eq on channel 2 instead of the master section which will also affect channel 1? Maybe someone else can see something I don’t or maybe I’m not understanding something?

Trying to decide between one of these EAE units or the new Fishman battery-powered mini.

FYI, you can order the EAE’s on Amazon.

Last edited by Kalani; 12-20-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Spec comparison:

Spec comparison:

M2-6 $600
13”L x 11”W x 9”H
24lbs, 30W, pole mount
Notch Filter, EQ with mid sweep on 1 channel
Mute on 2 channels, Phase on 1 channel, pad on 2 channels
Reverb/chorus/delay; USB charger; battery level indicator
6-1/2” x 1-tweeter, 48v phantom, monitor shape
70Hz - 20k Hz; 6-8 hrs

A4-8 $700
10.90”L x 10.25”W x 16.40”H
28lbs, 40W, pole mount, 3-band eq on 2 channels
16 selectable effects; USB charger; battery level indicator
Mute on 2 channels, Phase on 2 channels; notch on channel 1
8” x 1-tweeter , 48v phantom
40Hz-22kHz; 6-8 hrs

D6-8 $850
10.90”L x 10.25”W x 16.40”H
28lbs, 40W
Full digital mixer built-in; midi in/out
Mute and Pad on 4 channels,
8” x 1-tweeter , 48v phantom
40Hz-22kHz; 6-8 hrs

FISHMAN MINI CHARGE $500
12" H x 13.7" W x 9.7" D
21.2lbs, 60W
mic 2-band eq; Phase on instr channel; reverb/chorus
6-1/2” x 1-tweeter,
Built-in tilt stand
80Hz – 20kHz, 12 hrs
Old 12-20-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I don’t get the reason for the master eq section. On the A4-8, you already have 3-band eq on the 2 main channels. On the A2-5 and M2-6, you have great eq on channel 1 and no eq on channel 2 so why not just put the 3-band eq on channel 2 instead of the master section which will also affect channel 1? Maybe someone else can see something I don’t or maybe I’m not understanding something?

Trying to decide between one of these EAE units or the new Fishman battery-powered mini.

FYI, you can order the EAE’s on Amazon.

Actually there’s a good reason for the extra EQ. These amps are designed to feed a PA and act as a stage monitor. The channel EQ goes to both the house PA and your monitor (the EAE amp and speaker). The three band is just for your stage monitoring.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:46 AM

Merry Christmas everyone.
I bought the A4-8, and it's great!
It looks good, it smells quality. The sound is great too in my opinion, although there's a little bit of white noise (maybe there's something to tweak, didn't have the time to look yet). My Taylor Gs Mini never sounded so good when plugged, compared to others PA and amps I had to plug it in.

Now, 40w isn't a lot BUT i played a gig with it just yesterday in a crowded pub, and it was more than enough. It wasn't even at 12 o'clock. Keep in mind that it was more of ambient music, ballads... while people where eating and talking. So i didn't need to crank it up. For bigger gigs I have an active speaker that will handle the job.
By the way the reverb is fine too. Haven't tested it outside yet and it will be crucial as I bought it also for busking.

I think you can't go wrong with this.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 AM

"The resulting clarity and sonic imaging cuts to all genres creating shimmering acoustic and expressive vocal performances."

Don't know how true or false this statement is as I've never been within 500 miles of one ... but at least they address the fact that a lot of acoustic guitarists care about their vocals, too. Which would seem like a simple enough thing ... except most higher end acoustic amp companies don't do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification