The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

So....I haven't asked for permission to do this and so I very well might get in trouble. But, what the heck...I think people need to know...

I have been very fortunate to get to know John Kinnaird really well over the past few years. In fact, hardly a week goes by that we don't talk. Not only does he build a KILLER guitar, but he is just a heck of a nice guy. In a conversation with John recently, he told me that a lot of his time was being spent building a guitar for a young man. Of course, being the inquisitive type I needed to know more and was able to get him to tell me that he knows a young man who has leukemia and loves to play guitar. Out of the goodness of his heart, John has built this young man a guitar....and not just any guitar, but (yes, see below) a KILLER guitar shown in the picture below that any of us would LOVE to own!!

John told me today was the day to deliver the guitar to the young man and I told him I wanted a picture so I could celebrate his generosity and the moment with him. At the time, all I wanted was to see the picture and celebrate what a wonderful thing John had done because it made me even more proud to call him my freind. I can assure you that knowing John like I do, nobody would have known about this. He isn't trying to get his name in the paper, he is just doing something kind for someone who needs a "boost"...I have SOOO much respect for that. John didn't know I was going to post this picture (and won't know til he reads this post), and like I said I very well may get in trouble for it. But that's OK. I think in this little guitar community that we are all a part of, people need to know. John wouldn't toot his own horn, so I am tooting mine on his behalf.

So allow me to honor John in this way for his generous gift of kindness to this young man. Our world needs more kindness and more kind people like John. I hope this warms your heart like it did mine at this joyous time of giving.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

May God Bless you John.

Thanks for sharing Mike. Time to go wipe my eyes.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

What a truly honorable thing to do. Good for you, John! I hope that beautiful guitar helps this young man through his difficult times and into good health. Mike, thank you for sharing the story.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

It can be a hard, cruel world sometimes. Where nothing seems to make sense and those who dare to dream go unfulfilled and left wanting. And you John have shown Stars and the universe to that special boy. There are many kinds of heroes. There are many ways of saving one's life. And there is no greater way to save someone than to give the gift of dreams. Kudos to you John.
Please John...do not go hard on Invguy921...for he did the right thing by sharing this beautiful moment...that shall inspire us all to be...better.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

My word Mike. Thanks for the tribute. I think it was no more than what most of us would have done given the same set of circumstances.

Now if you will step into my office...........
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Excellent, John! Truly excellent!!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

That's fantastic, John--many kudos to you!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Wow, great story and truly a blessing to have the opportunity to know folks with such kind hearts. The Kinnairds are great people which makes owning their guitars even more special. Thanks for the much needed reminder of the true purpose of the season.
Martin J-41
Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Good on you John. You are a class act sir.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John is building at least three guitars at the moment and as such you may see some similar pictures of some of his guitars that are in progress in various threads. Here is mine.

These show the sides together with the bevels in place, and also one with the back attached and braced, as well as some reinforcement for the upcoming sound-port. Making solid progress!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Looking good! That bubinga is exceptional...makes me have thoughts I should not...about yet another guitar.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Emerging from the 'ugly phase'...can see a gorgeous guitar coming to life. Thanks for sharing the journey, and also the back-story on John's generosity to someone in need. Both are awesome!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Looking good! That bubinga is exceptional...makes me have thoughts I should not...about yet another guitar.
Thanks Jamie! Those kind of thoughts are something to get accustomed to if you hang around the Custom area much. Eye candy everywhere to stimulate the senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Emerging from the 'ugly phase'...can see a gorgeous guitar coming to life. Thanks for sharing the journey, and also the back-story on John's generosity to someone in need. Both are awesome!
Thanks Andy. Appreciate your thoughts!

John sent me this "preview' of the rosette. Clearly he isn't finished with it (the finish sanding, etc), but you get the idea...a smaller tight fitting tile look. John did one like this a while back and it was really special so we decided to do another on this guitar.

The wood for the rosette is a combination of bois d'rose, padouk, and bubinga with silver dots. John tells me that he thinks a bois d'rose might be a good idea also for the fingerboard as well.

Last edited by invguy921; 12-16-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Smile Looking better and better!

Yay team!!!

Glad to see what looks like another upper bout back bevel. The comfort is hard to do without once you have one!

Kudos to you John for your lovely act of kindness. We should all aspire to be as kind ourselves.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yay team!!!

Glad to see what looks like another upper bout back bevel. The comfort is hard to do without once you have one!

Kudos to you John for your lovely act of kindness. We should all aspire to be as kind ourselves.

Cheers

Paul
Paul,

Yes we do have bevels...but actually I asked John for bevels on mine which are SMALLER than normal. He thought that was fine since he'd save money and time as your required SOOOO much more wood ha!!

Here is the updates John sent me this morning. I'm starting to feel that Bubinga Waterfall Wave !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop