The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post

A low-ball really means that the SELLER offers something at a very attractive price AND the seller has NO INTENTION of honoring it.
This is very similar to how those unethical electronics online sellers work. You buy a TV for way below normal retail but they don't send it. They call you and say, "it's out of stock, but we can sell you this other one" which is at retail price. Or they'll say the one you ordered is grey market, or they'll say you have to get the protection plan, which turns out to be exorbitantly priced.

This breaking out of the fees isn't as underhanded as that of course, but it all plays into the psychological phenomenon of a buyer's commitment being hard to break once he/she has made the decision to buy. The seller can get away with some padding usually after the commitment has been made. People in the AGF forum state that they want the buyer to pay the fee up front so there's not really anything sneaky about it, but still, to me and other people I know, it's not appreciated, and is seen as possible padding of the price whether intentional or not, because the seller probably is fine the price minus those fees but doesn't like the idea of paying that 3-4% and tries to alleviate that fee by putting it on the buyer. The buyer will usually try to avoid paying it too, if they even make an offer, which some won't, leaving the seller still absorbing that fee, and worse, maybe getting fewer responses to the ad.

Shipping is different because it's a transportation cost, not a cost intrinsic to the item itself. However, a lot of sellers offer free shipping for the same reasons as I spoke of above, it makes the buyer feel more secure in the price. I offer free shipping now and I've noticed that customers overall are just happier with me. A happy customer will work with you easier on issues that may come up after the sale. A customer who buys with reluctance and a bit of distrust will slam you if something goes amiss later.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:54 AM

I don’t like it when a seller says the buyer must pay the fees. For me, it isn’t about the price paid: I can do math, and can make my offer 3% lower than I would otherwise pay. I have a problem with the seller subtly encouraging the buyer to enter into a conspiracy/collusion to use PayPal without paying the fees by using the “friends and family” option. If the seller simply says that they prefer other payment options, then it lands differently, even though it effectively means the same thing (that the seller hopes to realize their asking price at the end of negotiations).

It has become commonplace in AGF classifieds to say that any PayPal fees are the buyer’s responsibility. While this is convenient in terms simplifying negotiations, and it subtly shifts certain dynamics in the buyer-seller relationship ( in a way that favors the seller), as a buyer, it turns me off.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Two options: 1) Negotiate your purchase with the seller.
2) Wait until the seller drops the price 5% and buy it.
The alternative to any PayPal fees is to send a check. For me it's about the overall deal. I calculate what I will pay for the item then add in what I know shipping to be. That's what I'll pay. If the asking price or negotiated price, including all fees, is less or equal to that, I'll buy. If not, I won't. In the end it's what you pay to get the instrument and if it's worth it to you.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 12-08-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I don’t like it when a seller says the buyer must pay the fees. For me, it isn’t about the price paid: I can do math, and can make my offer 3% lower than I would otherwise pay. I have a problem with the seller subtly encouraging the buyer to enter into a conspiracy/collusion to use PayPal without paying the fees by using the “friends and family” option. If the seller simply says that they prefer other payment options, then it lands differently, even though it effectively means the same thing (that the seller hopes to realize their asking price at the end of negotiations).

It has become commonplace in AGF classifieds to say that any PayPal fees are the buyer’s responsibility. While this is convenient in terms simplifying negotiations, and it subtly shifts certain dynamics in the buyer-seller relationship ( in a way that favors the seller), as a buyer, it turns me off.
So then what is your opinion as a seller?

When I sell something, the buyer is going to pay the fees regardless because it is built into my price. I don't ask for fees, but you are still paying them because I am not selling a guitar without covering my bases. If you don't like it, then find another guitar. I'm not being rude, but with all of the low offers I see on quality gear that I paid my hard earned money for, I simply don't have time or patience for it anymore.

The only time I blatantly ask for fees is when I've received a low offer that I am considering accepting. I may say something like, "I'll accept your offer, but only if you do PayPal friends and family or pay fees..." Puts it back in the buyer's court.

Here's the thing....it is the buyer's responsibility to negotiate. Part of good negotiating skills is to make a deal work for you, and if it doesn't, then move on. Nothing is making a buyer buy a guitar on the seller's terms unless you accept them.

On another train of thought, when a seller received a low offer, pays the fees, pays the SHIPPING, and gives you top notch service and you decide you don't like the guitar and want to return it, I think that's just wrong. That's why sellers treat buyers badly sometimes is because they are tired of getting burned.

This is in no way directed at you buddyhu, but simply an opposing opinion on behalf of sellers....
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
If the buyer agrees to pay the fee, and the fee is bundled into the price , how does the seller avoid the fee being assessed when the transaction is processed?

I guess I thought PayPal deducts the fee as the money passes from buyer to seller.
Excellent point!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM

I pay the fee...Get the merchandise, report the abuser, I get the fee back and he looses his account...Works for me...

He is in violation and is stealing from PayPal what was agree to and is rightfully theirs...Period.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM

A deal killer for me is a seller who wants you to PayPal using “friends” option.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
I pay the fee...Get the merchandise, report the abuser, I get the fee back and he looses his account...Works for me...

He is in violation and is stealing from PayPal what was agree to and is rightfully theirs...Period.
How nice of you. Member of the year here folks. I would hate to "loose" my account.

If the fees are paid how is Paypal getting robbed? Other than the fact that you get the fees returned back to you, which does in fact rob Paypal of the fees on the transaction.

Some guitars
Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Hi
When you sell something , you add all the costs to the price . So when someone sells something and says, post free , it is not true . If You don't want to pay the fees or the postage costs , don't buy the item .
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
A deal killer for me is a seller who wants you to PayPal using “friends” option.
I agree, but still we see AGF sellers put this in their ads as the OP pointed out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I bring this up because I was in the classified forum looking at a guitar that really interests me. I was seriously considering sending a PM but then saw, "buyer pays all PayPal fees" and that soured my desire to buy from that seller. I think those fees are the seller's responsibility and I don't like being asked to either to use the friends and family option (giving up protection) or paying the fees. Paying shipping I understand and agree to as long as it's not padded. But those fees are the seller's nut to pay, not mine, and I don't like it when a seller tries to slip those on to me....
My understanding is the Friends & Family option was designed to move money among, well, friends and family. Not sure why PayPal allows it to be used in transactions that involve goods and money....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-08-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...pting-payments

Quote:
No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
If sellers don't like that, then tough luck or simply don't accept PayPal. Anything else is violating PayPal policies, including using "friends and family" for goods/services transactions. I've always been happy to get my money in such a convenient way and gladly pay the required fee/% to use PayPal's service.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM

My take on this is if someone wants you to pay the paypal fees that tells me a lot about their personality. If you are worried about a few dollars you have no business paying big dollars for a guitar. Imagine a contractor trying to do work with someone with that mindset? Not me my friend.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:36 PM

if the seller includes the fees in the total price, then there is no need for further discussion. done deal. and, no gift situation. people make things so difficult--make life easy!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Excellent point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
If the buyer agrees to pay the fee, and the fee is bundled into the price , how does the seller avoid the fee being assessed when the transaction is processed?

I guess I thought PayPal deducts the fee as the money passes from buyer to seller.
I did a wild and crazy thing just now - I went to Paypal.com , logged in and went to the Help section looking for the answer to my question.

I found this:
"What are the fees for requesting money and invoicing?

When you send a money request or invoice, you’re charged a small fee to receive the money.

Currently, the fee is $0.30 USD plus 1.9% - 2.9% of the amount received. The fee is automatically deducted from the amount that you receive. Fees may occasionally change. To see the latest fees, click Fees at the bottom of any page."

I do not see how a seller honestly avoids the fee by bundling it into the price.

I think it cannot be done legitimately , but only by unfairly using the friends/family option (as opposed to generating an invoice to the buyer).

I don't understand the opposition generated to the idea that someone found a way to make money by providing a useful service.

If the value of the fee interferes with the ability to make the purchase, or recover costs with the sale price, maybe the whole transaction needs to be re-evaluated.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM

I don't understand why a seller doesn't just figure the PP fees into the listed asking price and call it good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic