The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM

In that case I won't be surprised not to find them on, lol. The guitar will be delivered tomorrow and I'll keep you updated on how it fares. Would've been nice to have them though, with the other ivory bits and pieces. I think the Antique Acoustic pins will be a great replacement, having Germany just around the corner.

Ludwig
Old 12-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Default First impressions

Just received the guitar and did a quick inspection before closing the case again for further acclimitisation, and all is perfect at first glance. Action is awesome with the stringset that came with it. A few near invisible polishing swirls was all I could find and this baby looks like it came out of the factory only a few weeks ago. I couldn't help picking a few chords before putting it back and all I can say is wow, I'll still be able to hear this guitar for quite some time after my hearing starts deteriorating sooner or later.

Someone wrote 'it's the grand piano of guitars' and I totally understand what that means now, I'm blown away with the sound of it, litterally. Thumbwrap wasn't a problem in the lower positions, didn't try anything higher up yet, it was just the quickest probe of a guitar ever but the neck felt very comfortable to me. Ofcourse Todd Yates was right, didn't really doubt his knowledge but secretly I was hoping for someone to chime in that his had ivory pins. Ah well, it doesn't change the fact that this guitar shows what Martin is capable of, what a beast.

For those interested, in my research I found this guitar's younger sister at Zzounds which I think is still available, but not nearly as cheap as mine, No affiliation with them but perhaps they're willing to lower it's price after reading this. Moderators, just delete that name when I'm breaking any rules by mentioning it. After all this I think it's time now to tune her up and see what this baby really can do.

Ludwig

Addendum:
Have been playing this baby (now called Lady d'Arbanville) for a few hours and I'm totally surprised with the lack of adjustment pain. OK, I believed it was a shorter scale guitar but I see now it isn't. I'm accustomed to 25.4'' scale on all my other Martins but the slightly shallower neck on this one feels great, as does the stringspacing, even when flatpicking. The action is probably the best of all my guitars, the highs are still pretty fundamental but nice and even though the bass is almost overwhelming it doesn't mess up the medium or higher notes with any chords thrown at it. The top has some vague hints of bearclaw, just enough to give it some interesting depth in places, the Adi is pretty tight with some silking too.

I'm not in the habbit of doing away with any of my guitars and it's definately not any different with this one, what a cool tool, no negative thoughts, only positive vibes!

I fully blame Denver Steve for what this guitar has done to me, I'm still reflecting on appropiate punishment.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Aside from the fact that Authentics come with plastic pins (which are period accurate, and easily replaced) they are just outstanding guitars, regardless of model, dread or smaller body, 12 or 14 fret, pre/post VTS, Authentics are wonderful instruments.

Enjoy your D-28A '31......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the big D! I’ve been very intrigued by this one having owned both a D28VS and D18VS, and a recent D28 ‘37A. Love the thump’n bass in these, and the Authentics in general have that killer quintessential Martin vibe going. You will enjoy this I know.

The pins are a sad thing, and a place where Martin has taken this vintage re-creation thing a bit too far overboard. My guess is plastic manufacturing was a bit more quality controlled in 1931-37. Both my Authentics had the worst pins of any guitar I’ve ever purchased, yet the guitars were amongst the most expensive and revered. My 37 pins bent from playing before I even changed strings.

However, though I don’t get why Martin doesn’t just go HQ on the Authentic pins from the get go (they have no problem substituting Madagascar RW for Brazilian RW), it’s an inexpensive fix ... we’re spending $4-6K, so what’s another $40? I do expect better from Martin though.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Thx guys! About the pins, mine are not soft plastic as far as I can tell from the endpin. The endpin at least is hard plastic as it rings when I drop it onto my desk. It's not a big deal to me, the Antique Acoustic pins mentioned by Todd Yates aren't overrly expensive and sell for app. 25$ a set. They can be replaced by you and me anytime we like and the extra money is hardly weighing in. Someone said it before, it's about sticking to authentic detail and that's what Martin has done.

To me it's not something to complain about, I do have the extra 25 and it's no big deal, but I understand those who're on the opposite side. Perhaps Martin could make it optional at the same cost, just an idea. Fact is that I really love this guitar's sound, and that's besides what I already had. I'll stick with these pins for as long as they work, they're just a minor issue overall and I'm not going to complain with what I paid for this guitar.

Ludwig
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Guest 1928

Congrats on the guitar! The ones I've payed sounded fantastic.

On the pins, I think you're better off with lightweight plastic (but good quality) or ebony. I use StewMac ebony and celluloid, and variety of Antique Acoustic pins in my guitars. Some came with bone or ivory, but those pins are now in my parts box and have been replaced with lighter weight options.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM

No comments of 'no pics then it hasn't happened'? I guess everyone already knows how a 1931 D28A looks huh? Well, I'm going to ignore that and show a picture anyway, naninanipoopoo. So there, try and ignore this!

Ludwig
Old 12-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Beauty! Congratulations!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 AM

Never played one but I still have my 2015 D28A 41 VTS and she is a keeper. If its anything as sweet sounding as my Authentic I say buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion