The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The first record I recorded with my band I used a Soldano Super Lead. It was a great amp but I remember wishing that I just used my Twin. The very best sounding amp I ever remember plugging into was a friends Carr. I think it was a 20 watt amp and it really just was that eye opening good in tone.
I've read great things about the Soldano. Is the Super Lead the SLO?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Dru Edwards;5556722]Cool. Who made it?

Zeurcheramps.com I've got the 50 watt combo with 2 6L6 power tubes. We also installed a switch to lower the plate voltage to the power tubes so that amp has less headroom for smaller rooms.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Psyclone;5559169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cool. Who made it?

Zeurcheramps.com I've got the 50 watt combo with 2 6L6 power tubes. We also installed a switch to lower the plate voltage to the power tubes so that amp has less headroom for smaller rooms.
I take it that it has more of a Fenderish flavour as opposed to Marshall? Is it a great clean, sparkly amp?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 AM

I have a Tungsten Cortez (5e3), an older Vintage Sound vs112 (Princeton Reverb), and an Allen Encore (based on a Vibrolux Reverb). I doubt I'll ever let any of these go. Each is a magical machine!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM

I had a Boogie around 1980. Sold it and got two Tweed Deluxe from the 50s. Sold those to pay bills. Bought a Seymour Duncan Convertible. Sold it. Found another beat up Tweed Deluxe. Bought a Victoria Tweed Deluxe as back up.

I use the two Tweed Deluxe in tandem. Zen Drive for some grit at lower volumes since these amps are LOUD!

SCGC Dread Cutaway# 97
Merrill OM #66
Brondel A2
Kenny Hill Classical
Northwood L-00
George Stewart Jumbo Cutaway built in a Bakersfield garage with a set of $100 Brazilian Rosewood and a $125 German Spruce top
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM

I've been fortunate enough to have owned and played a number of boutique amps: Friedman, Suhr, Vintage Sound, Swart, Fuchs, Tone King, and Carr. I've also owned or played numerous amps from Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie.

In general, the boutique amps do indeed have a little something extra, a little more tonal complexity. That being said, I could also be happy with a stock Fender Princeton Reissue. You just have to decide how much that tonal complexity is worth to you.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I watched Phillip McKnight (YouTube channel) demo the BE-OD vs the Dirty Shirley. Both seem like great pedals. $200 each, although MF had it $40 off a few days ago.

What amp are you using the BE-OD with?
Carr Skylark, Quilter mini 101, Mesa Blue Angel combo..........
2014 Collings OM 2 HG
2015 Breedlove Oregon Concert CE 25th anniv.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I've read great things about the Soldano. Is the Super Lead the SLO?
Yes it was. I only used the overdrive on one song and we isolated the amp to crank it real good. The rest of the time I used my pedals which I believe at the time was a modded DS-1 and a Big Muff. I really didn't use the amp much so I never really got to know it well.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

The nicest amps I've owned have been a couple Two Rocks, and several Dr Zs. I love boutique amps, but can't justify them any longer. I don't gig and playing electric isn't high on my priority list these days.

They are worth the money if you utilize them how they are meant to be used, which is cranked lol.
PRS SC245
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifestyle View Post
I've been fortunate enough to have owned and played a number of boutique amps: Friedman, Suhr, Vintage Sound, Swart, Fuchs, Tone King, and Carr. I've also owned or played numerous amps from Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie.

In general, the boutique amps do indeed have a little something extra, a little more tonal complexity. That being said, I could also be happy with a stock Fender Princeton Reissue. You just have to decide how much that tonal complexity is worth to you.
Wow, that's some amazing amps to have owned and played. You're right about them providing a little something extra and whether someone would want to pay for that little extra. I'm definitely more in the Marshall world than Fender.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars