The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Default This old Washburn is really bugging me!!

I know this is ridiculous, but I work away 2 nights a week and wanted a cheap guitar for the hotel room - one I could leave with the owners and use it just when I'm there (which they're fine with).

So I went in a music shop to buy a cheap travel guitar size thing, because I really didn't want to spend much etc. Whilst I was there the owner said they had a 1991 Washburn D14n that somebody had kind of 'pawned' with them and never returned. He said it was the same price (£99) as the travel guitar I was looking at, and so I bought it because it was so much better sounding and nicer to play.

What's 'bugging' me, and again I know this is crazy, is how much I love this thing! It's got a laminated top, back and sides, a plastic nut and bridge (the bridge is also is quite bad condition) and yet I just love the sound. It's really crisp and bright and loud and proud and even has a slight 'reverby' quality to it and is a joy to play!

But that's what's really bugging me - that there's this stubborn old part of my brain that keeps telling me I need to go buy a 'proper' solid wood 'expensive' guitar that will sound every bit as good as this but even better because it's, well, better than this piece of junk (I know!)

So there's this kind of cognitive dissonance, where I love the guitar because it's great, but the inner 'snob' is looking down it's nose because it's just 'not the real deal' and yes, I know it's crazy but just coming on here and typing this has kinda helped if that makes sense?

Last edited by Martie; 11-15-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 PM

I have a similar issue. I love my Squier Jazzmaster, and play it much more frequently than my Fender Strat. Am I conscious of the different name on the headstock? A little. But what really matters is how it sounds, and the Squier is just right up my alley in that regard.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Just because it's laminate and inexpensive doesn't mean that it can't sound great. It's a factory guitar, and 1 in a 1000 (or 10,000) will be exceptional.
et al
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamNoCode View Post
I have a similar issue. I love my Squier Jazzmaster, and play it much more frequently than my Fender Strat. Am I conscious of the different name on the headstock? A little. But what really matters is how it sounds, and the Squier is just right up my alley in that regard.
Agreed. I took my Mexican Classic Player Jazzmaster for a set-up to a very reputable luthier/workshop and when I went to collect it they were all asking me what pickups I'd had fitted as they were 'amazing', 'incredible', 'punchy', 'exceptional' etc. When I told them they were stock they were all a little stumped...and it really is a great sounding and looking guitar, that's also great to play (there's still a TINY part of me that wants an American one though! :P )
Old 11-14-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Just because it's laminate and inexpensive doesn't mean that it can't sound great. It's a factory guitar, and 1 in a 1000 (or 10,000) will be exceptional.
I think I may have just got that one!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM

I'm at the point now when I go to grab a guitar I almost always reach for my Yamaha over my Larrivee. The FG820 has a deep bass that the all solid wood Larrivee just doesn't match. I don't know if they are all that way of if I lucked out but either way it's a beast.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:27 PM

I have a friend who played a Squier Strat for years and was happy with it. But then the Fender snobs got to him and said he needed to get rid of that "piece of junk" I thought it sounded great. Tone is in the fingers anyway. Just play your cheapo and enjoy it. Full disclosure: All my instruments are American made. So yes I am a snob too.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

I've barely picked up my Martin since bringing home my Seagull. I just absolutely love this thing! I took the Martin out today, started to play it, and I missed my Seagull.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Jambi, I know what you mean. I just got an FG820 in Brown Burst and I love it. I had bought the FG830 and was blown away on how nice it was that I wanted the mahogany counterpart. I was not disappointed. I set it up, lowered action at nut and saddle a bit and it's sounds awesome. Still has factory stings on it. I have a D18 and I won't say it sounds as good as it does but **** near! The Yamaha FG series are just great guitars!
Corey
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post

I have a 1989 Squier that has a plywood body, but it plays so good! The guitar was free so I decided to modify it with custom handwound pickups (with a toggle switch that switches the bridge and center pickup into series), vintage style tuning keys, and big block tremolo bridge. That’s about $300 worth of parts on a $75 guitar, but so worth it to me! [emoji23]
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 PM

I had a Washburn, and it used to bug me....... until I traded it on a Seagull......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Over 40 years ago, I had an all laminated Yamaha guitar that sounded fantastic.
It was so good sounding that a guy wanted to trade me his Martin for it.
I didn't know anything about Martin guitars back then but I did know that both of us liked the tone of the Yamaha over his Martin.

My point is that there are some magical laminated guitars out there.
When you find one, enjoy it.
Enjoy that Washburn.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 AM

I have a Recording King Dirty 30s rph-05 at home, which is ok, but would be much better suited to being left at the hotel. I'm going to take the Washburn, swap them over, and give it the good home it deserves
Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 AM

I think it’s a common myth that people think that just because a guitar has laminated wood, it will never sound as good or better than a solid wood guitar.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM

I have an all-lami Washburn WJ130EK. I took the under saddle pickup off that was as thick as a pencil, put D'Addario EXP16's on and it is great. I use it when I go camping.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion