The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
^^One of the guys I blame. LOL
You have good taste, man. That's a fine looking wall!
I believe you have the only Daphne/maple Telecaster in existence. Seriously, they are near impossible to find. What a beauty. I'm guessing you like it since it is one of the only ones with a strap attached to it. Please message me if you ever decide to part with it!
I had already figured I will eventually change out the tuners. It shouldn't take too many changes to make it a very fine axe...One that will rival all my other axes.

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to running this thing through its paces, the gauntlet, so to speak, and will definitely post my thoughts on the overall capabilities and my impressions. For the money I expect it to be more than acceptable, just like the other Squier instruments I have owned and played. I've had really good luck with them. That's why I bought this one.
Thanks! I just picked up a Twin Reverb and that Daphne tele sure does sound good through it! I bought it off of Reverb from a dealer. It was the only one with Daphne and a maple neck I could find. I was also drawn to the Nashville setup. It really is a phenomenal guitar!

I'm also loving the two Squire Strats. The Daphne one is a Deluxe, like yours. The surf green one on the left is a Squire VM Surf model, with lipstick pickups. It also has its own thing going on tone wise. I immediately upgraded the tuners, switches, and pots on both Squire guitars. The original ones were okay, but these changes made a world of difference. I'm still liking the pickups on the Deluxe, but at some point I may upgrade them to some Fat 50s or Vintage 69s.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Cool! I love Strats, and already have 2 that are great, but seeing that blue one makes me GAS for another. And the Squier versions are so reasonably priced that it's very easy to rationalize the purchase...
I have to stop clicking on these threads. So, to the OP: now I blame YOU!
LOL...Apologies. The same thing happened to me here. Then I saw this one at the Sweetwater website and for $299 with free shipping I just had to have it. Same old story, different guitar.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks! I just picked up a Twin Reverb and that Daphne tele sure does sound good through it! I bought it off of Reverb from a dealer. It was the only one with Daphne and a maple neck I could find. I was also drawn to the Nashville setup. It really is a phenomenal guitar!

I'm also loving the two Squire Strats. The Daphne one is a Deluxe, like yours. The surf green one on the left is a Squire VM Surf model, with lipstick pickups. It also has its own thing going on tone wise. I immediately upgraded the tuners, switches, and pots on both Squire guitars. The original ones were okay, but these changes made a world of difference. I'm still liking the pickups on the Deluxe, but at some point I may upgrade them to some Fat 50s or Vintage 69s.
One of the reasons the decision was so easy was because of the SD pickups in this Squier, not to mention the many glowing reviews...And of course, the looks.

The Twin Reverb is one of the best sounding amps of all time, IMO.

And please remember me if you ever decide to sell that Tele!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

She's in the mail and on the way! I realize that you most likely don't really care about that, but I had to tell someone!

For the record this is the first guitar I have ever ordered online. I'm old school when it comes to guitar buying and still maintain that I will never buy an acoustic without playing it first...Sweetwater, who I have never dealt with, called me the same day I placed my order, and the rep (Ryan) and I talked for close to an hour. Really cool guy and helpful far beyond any expectations. Today he sent me a notification of the guitar being sent, then sent a follow up email informing me he had gone over the guitar himself (he is a guitar player), on top of their infamous 55 point inspection, and he attached a plethora of pics of my guitar. He said he would be calling me again after delivery, to make sure I am taken care of...Now I have never ordered a guitar online, like I said, but I have other interests outside of music and have purchased many items online (probably too many) over the years, and quite a few were substantial...I have never received so much direct attention for a purchase, from any company, for anything I have ever bought, anywhere...In short, I am very impressed with Sweetwater. The guitar cost me $299! Not a high end purchase by any stretch of the imagination, but the treatment of their customers is outstanding, I must say. Just wanted to share that. Thanks for reading this far.

I cannot wait to get my grimy hands on this bad boy!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But the burning question is "Who is Daphne ?"
It’s a color offered on 1958 Cadillacs. Like Fiesta Red is a 1956 Thunderbird color.

Last edited by dave42; 11-08-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
So I had a moment of weakness and ordered a Squier Stratocaster deluxe in Daphne blue...I have owned a couple of Squiers and they have proven to be acceptable instruments, and then some. I own a Squier Telecaster that I used for a long time for live gigs and it has served me well.

Anywho, I wanted the maple fretboard and when I saw the Daphne/maple combo in the deluxe model (w/Seymour Duncans) I could not resist. I cannot find this combination for a Telecaster anywhere, so I settled for a Strat, which is just fine with me. I need another Strat, anyway...These are out of stock everywhere so it will probably be a couple of weeks before it arrives. Can't wait!
Beautiful! Enjoy it!

About twenty years ago when my son was about fifteen we spent about three hours in GC while he played seemingly everything in there within the budget of money he had saved. Even at that age he was a magnificent guitarist. When we first walked in the door and he told the guy what he was looking for and his price range, the salesman handed him a Squeir and he wouldn’t play it. Finally the salesman said “humor me, just play it for a minute.” As soon as he got about three notes into his practice lick his face lit up. He took it home.

Since then he has graduated college and gone through several guitars, but still has that old Squeir.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
It’s a color offered on 1958 Cadillacs.
Like Fiesta Red is a 1956 Thunderbird color.
I was makin' a phunny

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I have my Squier Deluxe Strat since Friday and have had some good quality playing time with it at this point. All around a very nice axe that plays very good and sounds very good. The PU's are absolutely acceptable and the guitar stays in tune pretty well. Intonation is excellent, all knobs are tight and positive, finish is outstanding, nut is good but not great.

The neck is unfinished but feels good. I prefer a finish on my neck so the dryness took a little bit of familiarization, but now it feels really good. My old Squier Telecaster has a dry neck also but I must say this Strat feels a bit better, IMO, and that is hard to admit. I love my old Squier Telecaster, but haven't played it in a while, hence the re familiarization with an unfinished neck.

I had to lower the middle PU just a touch because it was a bit close to the string for my taste.

The bridge appears well made and all screws and fittings are tight.

I had a touch of string buzz on the 6th and backed off on the bridge screw approximately a quarter turn and no more buzz.

Frets are very well dressed. They did a good job.

Tremelo feels nice as well but I never use one so can't really comment.

I've been playing this through my Fender Super Champ X2 and can capture a ton of different tones, so this Strat lives up to the reputation of versatility. There is something different no matter which PU position I choose, and especially when I am playing with the tone and volume controls on the guitar. I have also played it through a $25 Honeytone and it sounds pretty good plugged into that thing as well.

I see no reason why this axe won't outlast me. I can make some upgrades if I choose as I go along, but it is more than acceptable the way it is. If I change anything in the near future, it will be the tuners. They are better than expected, honestly, but I am a bit of a tuner snob and like them a bit tighter, or more positive, if you will.

Overall I am impressed with how much guitar is available for $299 these days. The value here is excellent, IMO. Sweetwater's 55 point inspection seems to be a winner.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But the burning question is "Who is Daphne ?"
And why is she blue?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have my Squier Deluxe Strat since Friday and have had some good quality playing time with it at this point. All around a very nice axe that plays very good and sounds very good. The PU's are absolutely acceptable and the guitar stays in tune pretty well. Intonation is excellent, all knobs are tight and positive, finish is outstanding, nut is good but not great.

The neck is unfinished but feels good. I prefer a finish on my neck so the dryness took a little bit of familiarization, but now it feels really good. My old Squier Telecaster has a dry neck also but I must say this Strat feels a bit better, IMO, and that is hard to admit. I love my old Squier Telecaster, but haven't played it in a while, hence the re familiarization with an unfinished neck.

I had to lower the middle PU just a touch because it was a bit close to the string for my taste.

The bridge appears well made and all screws and fittings are tight.

I had a touch of string buzz on the 6th and backed off on the bridge screw approximately a quarter turn and no more buzz.

Frets are very well dressed. They did a good job.

Tremelo feels nice as well but I never use one so can't really comment.

I've been playing this through my Fender Super Champ X2 and can capture a ton of different tones, so this Strat lives up to the reputation of versatility. There is something different no matter which PU position I choose, and especially when I am playing with the tone and volume controls on the guitar. I have also played it through a $25 Honeytone and it sounds pretty good plugged into that thing as well.

I see no reason why this axe won't outlast me. I can make some upgrades if I choose as I go along, but it is more than acceptable the way it is. If I change anything in the near future, it will be the tuners. They are better than expected, honestly, but I am a bit of a tuner snob and like them a bit tighter, or more positive, if you will.

Overall I am impressed with how much guitar is available for $299 these days. The value here is excellent, IMO. Sweetwater's 55 point inspection seems to be a winner.

Thanks for all the comments.
Great review and I'm glad that you are liking it so far. I got mine used, but like new for $200, so I felt it was a good investment that I don't mind putting some upgrade money into. I changed out the tuners to locking Fender tuners ($100). That put me right at $300 total. I then purchased some new pots and a switch, which added another $30. Then I just recently switched over to Fender CS Fat 50s, which was more in line with my music style ($100). A setup and installing the items above was $100. So, now I have exactly what I want for around $500. I also added an extra spring and tightened down the tremolo bar.

It's a perfect playing and sounding guitar with an awesome feeling neck, beautiful Daphne blue body, and all the parts I like so much. It's money well spent! This guitar was really good from the start, but now I'm really loving it!

Last edited by BoneDigger; 11-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Great review and I'm glad that you are liking it so far. I got mine used, but like new for $200, so I felt it was a good investment that I don't mind putting some upgrade money into. I changed out the tuners to locking Fender tuners ($100). That put me right at $300 total. I then purchased some new pots and a switch, which added another $30. Then I just recently switched over to Fender CS Fat 50s, which was more in line with my music style ($100). A setup and installing the items above was $100. So, now I have exactly what I want for around $500. I also added an extra string and tightened down the tremolo bar.

It's a perfect playing and sounding guitar with an awesome feeling neck, beautiful Daphne blue body, and all the parts I like so much. It's money well spent! This guitar was really good from the start, but now I'm really loving it!

The unlimited ability to upgrade guitars like this is a big plus. I will eventually make this into a $500-$600 guitar that sounds and plays like a $1200 guitar. I will also enjoy making into something that is my own creation. It isn't bad from the factory, though, so until I decide which direction to take this one, she's just fine.

One thing is certain, I will not muck up the color scheme in any way. The pickups, knobs, etc. will be matching to the same theme. I can have what I want and still keep it beautiful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars