The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Default Helix? on acoustic? Dual Source?

Anyone use a helix for acoustic? I've been thinking of ditching my electric guitar pedalboard for one and wondered how it would do for acoustic?

Also, I have a Felix I use for dual source. It's interesting, the LT version only has 1 input, but the Floor version has 2.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

While I don't have any experience with the Helix in particular, I do use the Fractal Audio Axe FX II (which is similar in many ways to the Helix) for acoustic and electric guitar and I love it.

There is a lot of flexibility for acoustic instruments in particular to blend in custom IR's, plus you've got far more control over EQ and compression than with any pedal-based setup. The reverbs in the Fractal are stellar. The best part is you can tweak your settings for each instrument/pickup system and then save them all to different patches that you can recall any time. It makes switching acoustic instruments a real breeze.

I'm sure the Helix would be a solid solution if you are looking to consolidate electric and acoustic processing in a single setup. I would definitely check out the Fractal products as well if you are considering that route.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Here's a fairly long look at the Helix, and one of the guys has an acoustic plugged into it.

https://youtu.be/bxBgum0LA5s
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM

I get some pretty good sounds of out the Helix with different acoustics. I build a chain that includes the tube studio preamp as the "amp" which can warm it up quite a bit. I also use the L.A. Compressor. Some hall reverb, maybe some delay (I like tape or digital). Might as well add a chorus just in case I need it.

Now some people use acoustic IRs kind of like using an Aura pedal (one person actually uses the Aura models for his IRs), but frankly I preferred it without adding an IR. You can always mix the IR in to taste. Apparently there are some new commercial IRs that some people are loving.

It also works great with a hybrid guitar (I plug the piezo into the aux input) and run the acoustic chain completely separate from the electric chain and then bring them together at the end.

I do have a friend who isn't quite happy with his acoustics through his Helix, but he uses magnetic pickups and is very picky.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Hybrid. One of my guitars is a dual source... piezo and mag. The piezo is a k&k, and is picky, preferring a 1 Mohm input impedance. Anyway, I use a Felix now to mix the 2 sources.

I'd be getting the Helix primarily for electric... but if it could do acoustic and/or dual source, that would be the icing on the cake.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Hybrid. One of my guitars is a dual source... piezo and mag. The piezo is a k&k, and is picky, preferring a 1 Mohm input impedance. Anyway, I use a Felix now to mix the 2 sources.

I'd be getting the Helix primarily for electric... but if it could do acoustic and/or dual source, that would be the icing on the cake.
I don't remember the impedance of the aux input. There are different settings for the input impedance of the guitar input so the K&K might work there. I just don't remember what they are, but you can look it up. You can also use one of the loop returns as a guitar input if you put the piezo in the main guitar input. Lots of ways to skin a cat with this device.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Yes I was thinking the loops... but options are good[emoji16]
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM

I use the HD500x with my M80 equipped D28. I wanted a simple setup that would double for electric duties and it does a good job in this respect. A light dose of tube comp and some eq gives a good usable sound to the desk and to my in ears.

I'll probably buy the Helix as it's clearly a superior tool and I'm curious about IR but in all honesty I'm pretty happy with its little brother.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Helix

I pretty much run all of my instruments (bass, Sticks, electric and acoustic guitars, and synth) through the Helix into a pair of QSC's. With two pairs of effect send/returns, the returns can be used as inputs also.

If you get it, also buy the backpack for it if you are going to play outside of home a lot, it's a large heavy thing. I tried a few other cases, the backpack from Line6 works very well.

The impedance is adjustable on the guitar input, but not the aux. I believe the returns are also. For stereo instruments like my Chapman Sticks, I prefer to plug the Y-Cable into the pair of returns as inputs. For acoustics I have a Martin with Fishman electronics and and Emerald Chimaera with LR Baggs I-Mix. No issues.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:13 AM

What amp/cab sim do you use with acoustic?
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 AM

Default Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
What amp/cab sim do you use with acoustic?
For that what DavidE posted above works really well with acoustics. A JC120 isn't too bad either. Depending on what you are running into, you may not even need any of that other than an eq plus whatever effects you want.

For those of you with electrics, also consider the Helix is dual DSP, and this was also designed and built from the ground up so it doesn't have too much in common with previous L6 models. This is important if you really want to add more than one amp with a lot of effects. If money is no object the top of the line Axe FX with the rack and floor controller I believe also has dual DSP but their floor models similar to the Helix do not, unless that's changed recently. Plus I like having a built in foot pedal. Always good for a volume pedal.

The lighted switches and digital displays on the Helix are fantastic. No worries seeing what you are using on a dark stage.

For those that have a Helix, frequently check their website for updates. A few months ago I discovered there was some new amps I didn't have. They also have a forum where people share patches. I downloaded a couple of acoustic guitar patches, many did not use amps or cabs.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
If you get it, also buy the backpack for it if you are going to play outside of home a lot, it's a large heavy thing. I tried a few other cases, the backpack from Line6 works very well.

Someone over on TGP suggested the Novation Bag 25 Key. The dimensions are perfect for the LT and they say the Floor fits well too.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseBag25
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
For that what DavidE posted above works really well with acoustics. A JC120 isn't too bad either. Depending on what you are running into, you may not even need any of that other than an eq plus whatever effects you want.

For those of you with electrics, also consider the Helix is dual DSP, and this was also designed and built from the ground up so it doesn't have too much in common with previous L6 models. This is important if you really want to add more than one amp with a lot of effects. If money is no object the top of the line Axe FX with the rack and floor controller I believe also has dual DSP but their floor models similar to the Helix do not, unless that's changed recently. Plus I like having a built in foot pedal. Always good for a volume pedal.

The lighted switches and digital displays on the Helix are fantastic. No worries seeing what you are using on a dark stage.

For those that have a Helix, frequently check their website for updates. A few months ago I discovered there was some new amps I didn't have. They also have a forum where people share patches. I downloaded a couple of acoustic guitar patches, many did not use amps or cabs.

Oh ok. So you don't HAVE to use an amp/cab sim. I seem to remember looking into the HD500 a few years ago and I don't think you could turn off the amp/cab sim, or something like that. Helix seems way more better[emoji6]

So if I get a Helix, then I'll have a Helix and a Felix!!! How funny.

I've sold a lot of my pedals to fund the Helix, but I'm hanging on to the Felix for my dual source rig until I see how Helix does with that. I should be able to use the 2 returns on the LT.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Helix? on acoustic? Dual Source?

Quote:

The next release will have 7 New amps and 7 new effects. Shouldn't be too long.

Last edited by DavidE; 09-15-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Helix

Helix does not have a feedback notch filter like the Felix has, but going through QSC or Quilter gear I use takes care of that for me. If you have feed back issues Schultz, you might want to hang on to your Felix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification