The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
To me, it's a total matter of conscience.
If I were in your shoes, I would proceed as agreed. For me, nothing of any sort of material value would be worth going back on a deal.
This is how I see the OP's situation.

Your word in honoring a contract is more important than some possible difference in cost for Collings guitars in the future. There are always more guitars out there, including Collings guitars.

- Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
it shipped and is on it's way to the new owner. again I'm sorry if I offended anyone. half of the money is going to bills so I'm good until I start my job next month.

the other half is going for a used 12 fret d-18. a deal is a deal. I was lucky enough own some of bills guitars. maybe I will again one day. I'm not a rich man a nice dread is the equivalent to me as a boat, Harley or hotrod ill never have that stuff. thats the only luxury I really have ever wanted so it is a big decision to me.

But I'm pretty fortunate guy. I'm going from a almost $6k guitar to a $2k guitar. That's not a real world problem. I'm alive and healthy. I'm sorry if anything was in poor taste. that's all I will say on this topic.
PS: Ah, I see that you did ship the guitar, drewgrass! Good for you! IMO, you did the right thing.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
it shipped and is on it's way to the new owner. again I'm sorry if I offended anyone. half of the money is going to bills so I'm good until I start my job next month.

the other half is going for a used 12 fret d-18. a deal is a deal. I was lucky enough own some of bills guitars. maybe I will again one day. I'm not a rich man a nice dread is the equivalent to me as a boat, Harley or hotrod ill never have that stuff. thats the only luxury I really have ever wanted so it is a big decision to me.

But I'm pretty fortunate guy. I'm going from a almost $6k guitar to a $2k guitar. That's not a real world problem. I'm alive and healthy. I'm sorry if anything was in poor taste. that's all I will say on this topic.
Thanks for summing this up so well.

Wishing all the best to you and yours,

George

George
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I don't agree with this idea. Even ebay allows 30 days for a seller to cancel a sale and refund the money. You have the choice and you don't need to feel guilty about it. Even if you did the obviously less savory thing and profited by selling it at a higher price, it's still a choice. Think about your motivation for selling, how much stress this is causing you now, and how you will feel about this in the long run, then act accordingly.
This ^^. I've bought things and had the seller cancel.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
But the buyer had already paid for it. I guess that is one reason that I have a job; some people vest more power in keeping their word than others do.
That's why you refund the money! Maybe I missed where he stated as such, but unless the OP told the buyer, "I promise I won't change my mind," then this has nothing to do with "keeping one's word." I know for a fact that if I were the buyer in this case, I would not feel for a split second that the seller was being dishonest. I'd be disappointed that I wasn't getting the guitar I wanted to buy, but that's it.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 07-18-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, about half the people who have posted feel that a seller cannot have a change of heart, and it is dishonorable to do so. And some of them don't ever return anything they buy, provided it is not defective, because that is equally dishonorable.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 PM

I haven't seen anything to indicate that anyone believes that someone (a seller or buyer) can't have a change of heart. I think it's more like every individual should live by a code of behavior. One of those codes is to honor your obligations which includes legal contracts, yes agreeing to sell a product for an agreed upon price is a legally binding contract, especially after consideration has been received, and the OP did that.

I don't see any issue or confusion here. About half of the poster's indicated they may not honor their obligation if they changed their mind and the other half stated they would. I believe anyone can change their mind at any time but once a contract has been agreed upon, no matter of change-of-heart negates that contract. Change your mind any time but man up and honor one's obligations. The OP did that and I too applaud him for doing what may have been difficult. I hope anyone I deal with (whether I'm selling or buying) would be a stand-up person like the OP and honor their obligation.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I haven't seen anything to indicate that anyone believes that someone (a seller or buyer) can't have a change of heart. I think it's more like every individual should live by a code of behavior. One of those codes is to honor your obligations which includes legal contracts, yes agreeing to sell a product for an agreed upon price is a legally binding contract, especially after consideration has been received, and the OP did that.

I don't see any issue or confusion here. About half of the poster's indicated they may not honor their obligation if they changed their mind and the other half stated they would. I believe anyone can change their mind at any time but once a contract has been agreed upon, no matter of change-of-heart negates that contract. Change your mind any time but man up and honor one's obligations. The OP did that and I too applaud him for doing what may have been difficult. I hope anyone I deal with (whether I'm selling or buying) would be a stand-up person like the OP and honor their obligation.
Was a legal contract signed? I guess I missed that bit too, unless you're privy to the details of this sale that the rest of us are not. Obviously, if any promise was made, in writing or verbally, then that's a different story.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM

While I'm not going to give legal instruction here, a contract is a:
Verbal or written agreement. This one was consummated by payment accepted by one party. Contract = agreement. Concluded when (but not necessary) consideration was accepted by the (in this case) seller. Period. No signature necessary. Email chain of the negotiation and acceptance is all that is needed, and, of course, the OP's statement that he sold his guitar and received payment. This horse has been beaten enough.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

all is well.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion