The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

i watched a bunch of videos. i have a TC x4 delay and looper but i dont care for the look and interface of the TC harmonizer. i am actually going to to with the boss. it seems easier to use and what not. i am pretty sure once youre live people wouldnt be able to specifically tell the difference between the TC and boss. problem being were only watching videos of them running directly into the feed. and dont forget. we can always return the pedal if we dont like it
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
i watched a bunch of videos. i have a TC x4 delay and looper but i dont care for the look and interface of the TC harmonizer. i am actually going to to with the boss. it seems easier to use and what not. i am pretty sure once youre live people wouldnt be able to specifically tell the difference between the TC and boss. problem being were only watching videos of them running directly into the feed. and dont forget. we can always return the pedal if we dont like it

Agreed. These things are all so good today, you only need to identify the one or two differentiators that are important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Not to thread bomb, but Fender some new ones also

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Default New Vocal/Acoustic Guitar multieffect - Boss VE-8

Here's a really nice comparison of the VE-8, the Play Acoustic and a DigiTech Vocalist:

https://youtu.be/N5Q8wxph--s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 PM

Default New Vocal/Acoustic Guitar multieffect - Boss VE-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post

I watched the videos again. I've been working through my band set list with the TC Play Acoustic, and I think I might go demo the VE-8 tomorrow to compare it to the TC PA. I'm not sure the effects are any better, but the manual switching with the feet might work better for me. It makes changes on the fly tough. The boss takes batteries too. That's a benefit for sure.

I just learned the the addition of the Switch-3 from TC will give you foot switch functionality like the Boss GE-8. And, evidently, they are assignable.

That's an option too.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-24-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM

After work I went to demo the boss VE-8 pedal. It was not any more compelling than the TC PA. I'll stick with the TC. Maybe add the switch 3.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM

So i found a 2nd hand VE-8 and took the plunge.

I used the Play Acoustic for a year while gigging solo and bought last week the VE-8. I loved the harmonies on the PA but disliked the limited looper and the lack of guitar effects. I spent a lot of time on tweaking the VE-8 and found the key to get harmonies in the same qualities as PA is by manually choosing the key of the song. On Auto they just dont cut it. Otherwise its a great unit, the guitar effects are excellent, and the acoustic res is also strong. Im badly missing a volume boost stomp option when playing lead over the looper rhythm however. The auto pitch corrector is also not as good as it is on the PA.
Nevertheless looks like i will be switching from the Play Acoustic to the Boss.

This also means Ill be down to just one pedal. Before I ran the Gibsons into an Aura Spectrum - G3 effects unti to Amp. Vocals went just through the Play acoustic into the amp.

Im really happy with the guitar tone so wont need the Aura, the effects units are better than the G3 and if I use the manual key setting then the harmonies are on par with the Play Acoustic.

Ill keep both pedals but I will probably move it all to the Boss.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM

There is no volume boost, but you can preset the loop volume so that it comes back under the live tracks. I actually prefer it that way.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
There is no volume boost, but you can preset the loop volume so that it comes back under the live tracks. I actually prefer it that way.

You mean have the looped rhythm at a lower volume ?

Not sure Id want that as then i would not be able to hear it clearly. Id really prefer to have a constant rhythm volume and being able to up the volume by 30% when playing lead over it.

The only way I can do it now will be if i manually increase quickly the volume insdie the soundhole on the fishman matrix infinity that I use on my gigging guitars. Its possible, but a bit of a pain, before I was using the G3 effects unit where I can easily increase the volume as one of the avaialble settings.
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

Not sure Id want that as then i would not be able to hear it clearly. Id really prefer to have a constant rhythm volume and being able to up the volume by 30% when playing lead over it.

The only way I can do it now will be if i manually increase quickly the volume insdie the soundhole on the fishman matrix infinity that I use on my gigging guitars. Its possible, but a bit of a pain, before I was using the G3 effects unit where I can easily increase the volume as one of the avaialble settings.

The TC PA provides boost if you use the optional footswitch. Does the boss offer the same feature with an extended footswitch?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The TC PA provides boost if you use the optional footswitch. Does the boss offer the same feature with an extended footswitch?

Dont look like it, although I did just order the footswitch yesterday and should arrive in a couple of days, so i will check it out. I plan to use the foot switch to change the song keys in order to get the harmonies at highest quality.

I also wrote to Boss asking this question, no reply yet.
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

I certainly prefer the loop volume a little lower, especially since by the time you move on from the loop there are quite a few overdubs going on. You don't have to use this feature if you don't like it. I always do.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I certainly prefer the loop volume a little lower, especially since by the time you move on from the loop there are quite a few overdubs going on. You don't have to use this feature if you don't like it. I always do.

What do you mean quite a few overdubs ?

Its just the rhythm that was playing before, with just the lead over the top of it, essentially as if you had two guitars playing together in a normal setting.

But having a lower volume rhythm is definitely no go for me. I want to hear that rhythm clear and proper so i can make sure i dont screw up the lead parts and they match the harmony. In a rowdy bar lowering the harmony volume could lead to a disaster as it could get lost with all the crowd noise.
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM

I mean a bit of a percussive part on the guitar body, some a rhythm guitar part, and a couple of vocal parts forming what might otherwise be played with a keyboard pad. I can't imagine the noise if the volumes weren't scaled back a little.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Not to thread bomb, but Fender some new ones also

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
...are you referring to a Fender Vocal Effects pedal?....if so, what's the name of it?.....I wasn't aware of any.
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification