The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM

ps ... our lights in the ceiling do not flicker in real life ... my camera is the issue I guess .
Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM

OH MY!!

Your son can play!
And that X20 can sing!

Amazing. Match made in heaven.

Congrats to both of you.

You get extra "dad" points for this one!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, that was fun!! The Blonde said I was grinning almost as much as when mine showed up!

Mike has some chops. And, we could tell that he had the Experience Hendrix in his head.

Thank you for sharing that with us. Mike's first reaction was the same as mine: "That's loud!" It took me a few hours on it to come to the conclusion that it can be played quiet, too.

His reaction was great... and grateful. You have a good kid there, JD!

Best wishes to you and the family,
Jim
Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Thanks guys !!

Mike is back at school now and he tells us that all of his guitar buddies are blown away . It is a bit surprising to me that with all the technology that these kids have access to , and use every single minute of the day ...that not one of them has ever even seen/heard/played or even knew about , carbon fiber guitars . That tells me that there is a huge upside to this . I would guess that players that have decades of playing under their belt , might be a bit slower to ' come around ' to a less traditional piece ... but the kids should take to it without hesitation .

Jim , you wrote previously that you would 'like to think' that you are not so stuck in old ways that you would not embrace new ideas ( heavy paraphrasing in use ) . I commend you for this ...and anyone else reading this as you obviously have accepted CF as ' the real deal ' . I would venture a guess , that a large percentage of you are also 'adventurous' eaters .

We have a theory in my house about that : When trying something new ( sometimes reeeally different ) , you do not have the right to form an opinion until after your 3rd bite . Heres why :
- everything is strange for your first bite ... the look , texture , smell , taste , and idea are all foreign . You not gonna die ...man up !
- in the 2nd bite all those issues are slightly less unfamiliar ( you likely have not turned the corner yet , but you can almost see it from where you are ! 2/3rds there ...stay strong .
- by the 3rd bite the look,texture,smell and idea are now familiar enough to let you focus on the taste ... very often resulting in " ok , maybe a 4th bite is in order"

3 bites later , you very well may have discovered a new favorite food . If not , no harm done ! My soapbox message on these guitars will be ... play one enough to make friends with the idea and you very well may be an owner soon , as the sound and durability cannot be questioned .

I predict strong and steady growth for this market , especially given the quality of customer service that seems to be 'the norm' . When we bought his Cargo from Ted at LA Guitar , he was very gracious and accomodating in every way with me and all of my probably less than educated questions . The Emerald team has been outstanding in every way !! I have read that the Rainsong customer experience is top shelf as well . There will be a Black Ice in the arsenal at some point !!

The very best to ya ! JD

ps- the 3 bite rule DOES NOT apply to cottage cheese . No chunky milk for this guy !
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Hmmmmm. I actually save cottage cheese for dessert!

Sprinkle a tad bit of celery salt on it first. Try it!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz1 View Post
Just so ya know ... 'Experience Hendrix ' is an outstanding show with a lineup that won't quit !!! Do go .

Mike's time with his X20 so far has been fantastic . He absolutely cannot put it down . We got home from the show late and within 30 seconds he way playing and we just about had to get mad at him to get him to stop ( a good nites sleep and all ) ... when he finally relented and we all went to bed , I could still here a faint guitar from his room . I smiled .

The guitar arrived in tune ! Perfectly . His first strum was met with " it's loud " . After a bit of exploring around , we changed strings to his favs...Elixir Nanoweb Phos. Brnz lites and it got louder and warmer . The set up is perfect as is . I asked him if a trip to see Charlie was in order ( who has set up all of his electrics and may be part wizard ) , and he said NO , it needs nothing !!

My video skills ... well they aren't skills I guess , are not too pretty good . Thanks to all who have encouraged me(us) through this process !!

Here goes :
pt 1 is the reveal
pt 2 is unplugged noodling
pt 3 is plugged in
pt 4 is general goofing off

https://youtu.be/yw-j0-uY3zU
https://youtu.be/Wc93Tcp50e8
https://youtu.be/FXbz6J69J60
https://youtu.be/_Lwe-CsDZX0

Thx !! JD
That is just awesome playing!! The X20 sounds good and what awesome looking guitar. Thanks for sharing. Great publicity for Emerald.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm more of a tomatoes and cottage cheese kinda guy. I think I am an adventurous eater... I am willing to try all kinds of pizza, burgers, and ice cream.

My X20 purchase was less of a leap of faith, since I have been happily playing my X7 for months. I didn't really need another guitar, but I couldn't get those gorgeous woodies out of my head. Made more sense to go for a different size than get another X7.

Not sure where that puts me on the "traditional" scale. While my first guitar (at age 11) was an acoustic, I spent several decades playing electric more than acoustic. There was a 14 year stretch with an Ovation, so maybe I wasn't all that traditional?

Like many, I didn't give CF much thought until I got tired of trying to keep wood guitars happy with our traveling lifestyle. It wasn't until after buying the first one that I said, "Why didn't someone TELL me these sound so good??!!" Your "first three bites" is a good analogy... well, I was hooked at the first bite.

The only downside I have come across with CF is: you can't discuss all the subtleties of a bunch of different tone woods. Yeah, you're stuck saying, "That one sounds great. So does that one. Isn't that carbon fiber weave cool! Oh, darn, I won't have to buy anymore case humidifiers."

It does give one more time to play and smile.

I do have one question about wood: does it make sense to have a guitar case made of wood for a carbon fiber guitar??

Thanks for your contributions all (and especially JD) on this thread. When I think about how many of us played guitar back in "the day," I hope JD is right that more young people will appreciate the guitar, wood and carbon fiber. The manufacturers can't expect to experience growth with just us old guys buying multiple guitars.

Jim
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 AM

This was one Awesome & Fun thread Guys!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

There seem to be a number of converts from wooden to CF acoustic guitars and that does make for an expanding market. However I think you are correct in saying that CF makers can't make it with just old guys buying multiple instruments. Which is why I continue to be amazed that none of the domestic makers are coming out with electric guitars.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

There seem to be a number of converts from wooden to CF acoustic guitars and that does make for an expanding market. However I think you are correct in saying that CF makers can't make it with just old guys buying multiple instruments. Which is why I continue to be amazed that none of the domestic makers are coming out with electric guitars.
I don't see the demand for CF electric guitars, given the fact that there are cheapo Strat copies that sell for $99. Again, going back to that "floor" for cost to work with carbon fiber. Taylor tried to crack the electric solid body market, and didn't find an audience, even though the guitars were good. Seems that Gibson has the Les Paul, Fender has the Strat and Tele, and everyone else seems to pile on that bandwagon. OK, throw in a 335 and an SG. Beat the snot out of any of those and you can call it "reliced" and charge extra... where does that leave a quality CF maker?

Of course, that is coming from a guy that took a while to appreciate what carbon fiber brings to the acoustic guitar world.

I played my X7 for a while this morning, just because I didn't want her to feel neglected.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM

It does seem that some creative marketing will be needed to enlist the masses . I (we) have never attended a Taylor roadshow , but I know folks that have and they we all super impressed with how they did it . Both bought guitars as well .

I wonder if the CF companies get along well enough to consider a ' Carbon Roadshow ' ... Emerald , Rainsong , Blackbird etc... ...each with a rep that can really play and with a selection of guitars to purchase . Admittedly , traveling with the competition might be a bit goofy , but maybe not ?? It sure would cast a larger net .

If it was well promoted and truly done in a first class way ... any guitar shop would love to see a new market show up . Maybe this already happens and I have just missed it .

I have another video with Mike playing his new X20 . It's fun !

https://youtu.be/REJXeTGy0Fc

Yes he's a happy guy !!

JD
Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Guest 928

cz1;

There were two Carbonfests sponsored by MacNichol Guitars . Michael brought various guitars made by various makers, players came from around the country with their CF instruments, the makers joined in with interactive video, and a good time was had by all. We all stayed at the same place and the music would start early in the morning and go late into the night.

A number of people on this forum were at one or both of the Fests and once in a while someone will put up a picture or two.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Another fun video, JD. Mike has good stage presence, as well as the chops to support that.

My wife and I have done several Taylor Road Shows - always a good time, and seems to be good for the sponsoring dealer. Some good info, a few t-shirts and strings given away... a pleasant evening. And, some guitars that go home with new owners.

Not sure, other than Michael's CarbonFests, how to pull that off... Ted is a strong CF dealer and supporter, but he doesn't carry all the brands. Emerald guitars are sold direct only. Spend more time on this sub-forum, and you will see that it isn't always easy for people not near a CF dealer to get their hands on one. It would also be an easy bet that none of the CF manufacturers have the promotion/marketing budget of Taylor.

IMHO, this forum is one of the best ways for guitar players to become "carbon curious"... then, it us up to them to put out the effort. Like many guitar players, there was a time when I was firmly in the "play before you pay" camp. Not so, anymore. Good info, reviews, specs... all are a click away. With carbon fiber guitars being a niche market, those manufacturers are best served by understanding the importance of social media. And, the value of an audience like this forum.

It makes me smile to see your kid enjoy that guitar as much as he obviously does. There was an old guy here with just as big of a smile... and enthusiasm.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sean sent me this photo, keeping me in the loop...

That is Shane from Emerald, getting a shipment out.

Showing more restraint than usual, I have only checked ANPost tracking twice since Friday.
Mine was in the same batch 😀

An X7 for me with a K&K pickup. Had the guitar for around 10 days now and not been able to put it down.

I haven't tried it plugged in but Sean said he had a "tinkle" when he was passing the set-up bench and commented on how good the K&K sounded.

You all know what the X7 looks like so I haven't posted any pics.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

Being a bit pugnacious, I would suggest that Peavey might have the advertising power of Taylor.

I would also argue that cheap electric guitars do not preclude interest in more expensive guitars. As proof I would point to the acoustic CF guitars that have hit the market well beyond the price of many wooden instruments, and done well.

When I was moving through more than 40 wooden nylon string guitars to find my ideal, I ran across $300 dollar guitars that competed well with U.S. guitars in the thousands of dollars range, and those high-range guitars sold. CF guitars priced well above many wooden instruments have found a market--people interested in something new, something that sounded a bit unique, something that was weather proof.

While certain electric guitars dominate the market, that means that something unique might be inspiring. I can almost taste an X7, 2" wide, 1 6/8" nut width, woody with center sound hole surrounded by a way cool rosette.

But maybe that's just me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber