The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2016, 12:00 PM

Martin M36 failed me . As well as a HD28V and a regular HD28. I wasn't happy with them (((
Old 12-31-2016, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitar001 View Post
As an dopey American, I cannot unravel all the negatives in your comment.

"I'm less underwhelmed with them..... less because they under deliver for their price..... (less?) than that they under deliver for all the marketing hype."
or
"I'm less underwhelmed with them less.... because they under deliver for their price than....that they under deliver for all the marketing hype."

Either way, I truly am clueless as to whether you like them or not and why.
You Philly guys.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention Zager guitars yet. I'm less underwhelmed with them less because they under deliver for their price than that they under deliver for all the marketing hype.
"Less underwhelmed" means that you actually like them, right? Opposite of "more underwhelmed" or something like that.

By the way, if one can be underwhelmed then can one also be whelmed?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
"Less underwhelmed" means that you actually like them, right? Opposite of "more underwhelmed" or something like that.

By the way, if one can be underwhelmed then can one also be whelmed?
I take it to mean something like not as disappointed as I could have been.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Not trying to bash either manufacturer but any low end Taylor or Martin.
They both make good guitars but on the low end it seems you pay entirely for the name and no sound. You can buy Yamaha's, epiphones, or numerous others that blow them away for significantly less. There is some degree of consistency between guitars that you pay for going with the Taylor or Martin, but certainly not sound.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
You Philly guys.....
I'm sure it is me as he said it so convincingly. However, I truly have no idea whether he likes them or not and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I take it to mean something like not as disappointed as I could have been.
So he is disappointed, but not as disappointed as he expected before purchasing the instrument. Again, does he like it or not?
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM

i have some really nice and expensive guitars that sound great at home. When I take them to my weekly lesson and the instructor plays one song at the beginning of the lesson. Generally some low country blues song with lots of hammers and pulls and all up and down the neck, just laughing while he enjoys the guitar.
When I get home it never plays to the level it cost!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Not trying to bash either manufacturer but any low end Taylor or Martin.
They both make good guitars but on the low end it seems you pay entirely for the name and no sound. You can buy Yamaha's, epiphones, or numerous others that blow them away for significantly less. There is some degree of consistency between guitars that you pay for going with the Taylor or Martin, but certainly not sound.
I'll have to disagree with this. I understand where you are coming from however. I recently was in search for a guitar I played up and down the walls and couldn't find anything in those other brands that I enjoyed that was with doing some blind test. I found some but not all of the low end Martin and Taylor's to be distasteful the GS Mini and the 000x1ae were at the top of my list for being the best even after playing much more expensive guitars the sound was on par and the playability was there I so bad wanted to find an Alvarez that had both or a Breedlove or a recording king but I just couldn't find that combination. So in the cheaper spectrum for me Martin and Taylor delivered and I'm not fond of Taylor. I looked at my wife after I sat down with the GS mini and said I might end up taking this home.... Because it felt great in the hands and had good resonance and it was balanced.

I ended up with the 000x1ae sat it side by side with a lot of other guitars in its price range and above. I didn't just pay for the name in this case for me this guitar was stellar for the price point I paid right around 350 for it with a trade in and sales. So for the price I got a whole lot more guitar in my opinion. Yes I could have gotten all solid wood. I couldn't find a solid wood guitar that sounded as good as the 000x1ae for the price. so I settled for a solid top. Laminate was a no, no for me walking in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitar001 View Post
I'm sure it is me as he said it so convincingly. However, I truly have no idea whether he likes them or not and why.

So he is disappointed, but not as disappointed as he expected before purchasing the instrument. Again, does he like it or not?
I say that very fondly as Philly area born and raised til 18. UDHS Royals...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-01-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
3rd... 1970's Martin dreads for all the reasons everybody already knows.
Being fairly new in the acoustic scene, this comment resulted in an enlightening jaunt down the Google rabbit hole.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwilliams2448 View Post
I'll have to disagree with this...

I ended up with the 000x1ae sat it side by side with a lot of other guitars in its price range and above. I didn't just pay for the name in this case for me this guitar was stellar for the price point I paid right around 350 for it with a trade in and sales. So for the price I got a whole lot more guitar in my opinion...
I also disagree with adaw2821 here. The Martin Dreadnought Junior, the Taylor GS Mini, the Martin X series and the guitar you purchased are great bang for the buck guitars. I do agree that there are some nice Yamaha guitars at the same price point, but I love my Dreadnought Jr. It has amazing tone that will only get better with solid wood construction.

Last edited by steelvibe; 01-01-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Wrong party addressed in post
Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I also disagree with adaw2821 here. The Martin Dreadnought Junior, the Taylor GS Mini, the Martin X series and the guitar you purchased are great bang for the buck guitars. I do agree that there are some nice Yamaha guitars at the same price point, but I love my Dreadnought Jr. It has amazing tone that will only get better with solid wood construction.
Lol yes I guess I should be more careful about making blanket statements. I've never played the GS mini. Played lots of the Martins including the 000x1ae that I wouldn't walk home with over a half dozen other off brand guitars. At that point probably to much variation to judge all guitars. I've played several Taylor 100 and 200 series that I think are to me at least some of the most overprice guitars and probably were the bulk of my sentiment in my original statement was directed.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Lol yes I guess I should be more careful about making blanket statements. I've never played the GS mini. Played lots of the Martins including the 000x1ae that I wouldn't walk home with over a half dozen other off brand guitars. At that point probably to much variation to judge all guitars. I've played several Taylor 100 and 200 series that I think are to me at least some of the most overprice guitars and probably were the bulk of my sentiment in my original statement was directed.
It's cool, we are entitled to have our opinions. I too have been underwhelmed by the low end offerings by most manufacturers, including a few you mention; the exception being Seagulls, Yamahas, and some Breedloves.

When Bob Taylor was asked what his favorite accomplishments were, he ranked the creation of the GS Mini at number one. It is Taylor's best selling guitar and for good reason. I would own the all mahogany version if I could get along with the neck.

When Martin released the Dreadnought Junior in 2015, the guitars went largely unnoticed by me- and when I did pay closer attention I wrote them off for a variety of reasons. However, when I learned more about the specs and how much I liked them, I had to try them. I played 2 sitka topped models before settling on the all sapele version. I ended up getting an all solid Martin with a hard shell case for $529!

If you can, play the GS Mini and Dread Jr., I think you will be shocked.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post

That's why it baffles me why some people have 6-10 $300 guitars instead of two great $1,500 guitars or 3 $1,000 guitars or even one $3,000 guitar. Quantity means nothing when quality doesn't attach.
I've seen some 'interesting' hobbyist guitar collections on AGF, UMGF, Gibson etc. (never in real life) on the upper end, such as ~ 10 guitars same body shape/same brand. I've never seen someone with 10 $300 guitars, much less with that and no expensive guitars. I'm sure it's out there, but extremely rare.

With $3k total budget, I'd rather have two (used) guitars with very different tone/feel, like a J-45 and a Martin. Others might prefer 1 used $3k boutique, others might prefer 1 brand new $3k Martin/Taylor Gibson etc w/ warranty
Old 01-02-2017, 04:53 AM

If we are talking electric guitars, I have yet to find a Fender Strat that I like. It may well be just how they are set up, but I'd not have considered all Strats to be badly setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion