The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Knock off 50% for the top crack and take my Subaru in trade, and we've got a deal. Lovely guitar and my favorite body-style on an old Martin.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
For an issue that doesn't matter, they sure don't show the end where the 3 big repaired screw holes are.

Just like on Pawn Stars, "You know the guitar does have some issues, the discolored soundboard, and the three repaired screw holes on the lower bout, if it wasn't for that I'd offer you way more, but I'll give you $12,000.00 for it and that a fair price."

Then when they sell it, "$32,000.00 is a cheap price for this guitar, it's the best example I've ever seen."

Dan
Those holes, and the shadow of the tailpiece are Leary visible on the picture labeled "bridge."

P
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
Those holes, and the shadow of the tailpiece are Leary visible on the picture labeled "bridge."

P

No they are not, The screws that hold the tailpiece on are on the bottom bout not the soundboard. it's a triangle shaped piece that wraps around the edge of the body.

Dan
Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm sure if you're thinking of parting with the $32K, they will happily send you any pictures you want. They photograph all their guitars the same for the web listing.
For $32,000.00 I shouldn't have to ask for anything it should already be blatantly Clear in the ad.
If a special issue, the they should include extra photo for that price. We aren't talking about a used $500.00 guitar.

Dan
Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Actually, a proper replacement bridge and plugged tailpiece holes are minor issues when it comes to the originality of a 1929 Martin.
And a repaired top crack under the fingerboard has zero impact on the structure of the guitar.
Maybe you would pay the same for the listed guitar and one without the listed defects. I certainly wouldn't. If the Guitar were without those flaws, are you telling me it would still sell for $32,000.00 ? I highly doubt it. Anyone that would accept that guitar with, or without the flaws, for the same price, obviously has too much money.

Dan
Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Anyone that would accept that guitar with, or without the flaws, for the same price, obviously has too much money.

Dan
You say that as if it were a bad thing

But seriously, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
For $32,000.00 I shouldn't have to ask for anything it should already be blatantly Clear in the ad.
If a special issue, the they should include extra photo for that price. We aren't talking about a used $500.00 guitar.

Dan
I don't think it's going to deter any serious buyers, which I doubt any of us are. I can't imagine a serious buyer buying this guitar without calling them up and asking lots of questions and establishing a rapport with the dealer.

Elderly has a great reputation, btw...
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe you would pay the same for the listed guitar and one without the listed defects. I certainly wouldn't. If the Guitar were without those flaws, are you telling me it would still sell for $32,000.00 ? I highly doubt it. Anyone that would accept that guitar with, or without the flaws, for the same price, obviously has too much money.

Dan
Okay then - it's been decided.

Look, these Golden Era Martins are few and far between. There's a lot to learn in how to approach the market and individual examples - and a person like John Arnold, with a deeply respected rep in the vintage repair market might be a person we can learn from.

You don't buy an old Ferrari with the same expectations or approach that you'd buy a new Honda. You balance it's condition with it's playability and other factors.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
He's not saying it has no effect on the price. He's saying those repairs, properly executed, do not deter serious buyers who favor originality. A near mint example would certainly be priced higher.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:59 PM

Default Ive often wondered...

Talking about knowing the "back story" of an old Martin...

In 1928, my Grandma bought a 0-18 in Los Angeles.
It was given to me in 1965, so I know exactly where its been for the last 49 years--with me, and its sitting in the closet 10 feet away as I write-- and I pretty much know were it was before that.

I have often wondered what difference it might have made if she had spent a few more bucks back then and bought a Brazilian 28, or a 40 series, instead of an 18?
I cannot imagine selling my sweet little guitar, regardless of what its currently valued at.
I also wonder if my strong leaning toward the Mahogany/Spruce sound is a direct result of playing the 18 from the start? Its the only guitar I had for 22 years.

$32,000 seems a bit steep for this 1929 000-28 at Elderly.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Actually, 32k is a fair price for a '29 000-28 in that condition based on the current vintage market. If you can find a comparable one for considerably less or one in better condition for the same money please give me a call.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion