The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Guitar for 10 year old

I signed my son up for guitar lessons, but now I have to find a guitar for him.

My dread is still a bit too big, but my Alvarez AP70 has a great body size. But the 1 3/4 nut width is still a bit too much.

The problem I'm running into is if he doesn't keep up with the lessons past the next 6-12 months, I would like it to be a guitar then that I would have use for.

I know about guitars like the Martin LX1, Taylor Baby, and GS Mini. But out of those, I don't know if I'd have any use for them since I already have a parlor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

let him use your parlor...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM

If you read some of the many, many reviews herein on the GS Mini you'll see that there is no better small-bodied guitar - for almost any use.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

My 8 yr old wants to start playing. We went with the Lil Martin LXK2. Sounds great and with HPL body a little more durable than solid top. Also like the strata bond neck. Very durable and holds a tune great. He will be a happy camper in a couple of weeks. I even enjoy playing it. Lots of choices out there though.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM

I've been recommending the "Little Martin" to my students and parents. I think it's a great first guitar...and retains value as a travel/camping guitar. Here's my video review http://firsttimeguitarbuyer.com/review-martin-lxm/

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holty View Post
My 8 yr old wants to start playing. We went with the Lil Martin LXK2. Sounds great and with HPL body a little more durable than solid top. Also like the strata bond neck. Very durable and holds a tune great. He will be a happy camper in a couple of weeks. I even enjoy playing it. Lots of choices out there though.
That's exactly the route I'm taking with my 8-year-old daughter. She's been playing around with a ukulele for about six months and wants to start guitar, but finds the string tension on my 25.4" scale guitars too much for her small and delicate fingers. The short scale of the Little Martin is much easier to handle (we went for the LXK2 also). The guitar seems sturdy though not heavy, and, as an added benefit, I find it fun to play, too.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM

I just played a Washburn WF11s. It is a folk size with 1-11/16" neck, solid cedar top and lam. Mohogany back and sides. Great tone! Excellent little guitar. $300.00 bucks. You can get a solid Sitka topped version for $250.00, but the tone was not as nice...(to my ear).
My buddy is looking for a guitar for his 10 yr. old son and asked me to find one under 300. This guitar is one that he would never outgrow.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Taylor Big Baby! Right size guitar and neck and it won't break the bank!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Guitar for 10 year old

How is the action typically out of the box for a little Martin? I'm not sure if I'd have time to get it lowered before the lessons start.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

my son is 10- the Art & Lutherie AMI parlor fits/sounds real good.

madhat.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
...I know about guitars like the Martin LX1, Taylor Baby, and GS Mini. But out of those, I don't know if I'd have any use for them since I already have a parlor.
Hi Matt...
I own a Baby Taylor, and it's really good for high stringing, and that's about it.

I loaned it out to a family because their child was wanting to play. It finally came home the other day again after several months. It is good with very small beginners. It really is not a very musical device compared to other choices.

I've sure seen a lot of YouTube of motivated youngsters in the 8-12 yr old bracket playing full sized OM body guitars with no issues.

As a teacher, I know the dilema parents face with beginners - the "…will he/she stick with it?…" issue. So picking a guitar either you can use later should he decide it's not going to be for him right now is important.

As a teacher I didn't find much issue with kids adapting to full sized instruments over mini instruments. They handled OMs or 000 guitars just fine, though they often needed to wear a strap to play.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
How is the action typically out of the box for a little Martin? I'm not sure if I'd have time to get it lowered before the lessons start.

Thanks,
Matt
Action is great on a BIG BABY TAYLOR !
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Matt...
I own a Baby Taylor, and it's really good for high stringing, and that's about it.

I loaned it out to a family because their child was wanting to play. It finally came home the other day again after several months. It is good with very small beginners. It really is not a very musical device compared to other choices.

I've sure seen a lot of YouTube of motivated youngsters in the 8-12 yr old bracket playing full sized OM body guitars with no issues.

As a teacher, I know the dilema parents face with beginners - the "…will he/she stick with it?…" issue. So picking a guitar either you can use later should he decide it's not going to be for him right now is important.

As a teacher I didn't find much issue with kids adapting to full sized instruments over mini instruments. They handled OMs or 000 guitars just fine, though they often needed to wear a strap to play.

If you are wanting a higher scale guitar then a 114 or 314 Taylor would be perfect! Great low action and a guitar to last for awhile until he wanted to trade up.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I got a Cargo guitar for my eight year old (he is ten now).
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/compo...FUlxQgodvFoAsA

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I got a Cargo guitar for my eight year old (he is ten now).
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/compo...FUlxQgodvFoAsA
Did this guitar work out well for your son, Rick? Does he continue to play it?

Thanks, Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion