The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a used Bose L1 Model I Classic for a good price a few years back... included one of the B1 (subwoofer) cabinets...

The thing sounds wonderful for acoustic guitar and voice... has a very different sound than your standard "point and shoot" PA system, of which I have owned many... the Bose seems to "surround" the listener and spreads through the room in the most remarkable fashion... as opposed to blasting the sound out of a couple speakers and having the volume be too much for anyone close to the stage, while not quite loud and clear enough for someone a fair distance away...

All I can say is that I am totally sold on the Bose PA systems, the big ones, anyway; can't speak to the smaller units, as I have no experience with them. Prior to owning this Bose L1, I was NOT a Bose fan, in any way, shape or form... and my Bose will blow one of the Fishman units out of the water - I know, not an apt comparison... the L1 breaks down into 4 smallish, carryable pieces (in fairly heavyweight bags), with the heaviest piece being 30#'s, then the B1 at 22#'s, the speaker tower (2 pieces) at about 15#'s each...

Gets my vote! They aren't bulletproof or completely trouble-free (as far as eq'ing and feedback), but darn near...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM

We currently use an A & H PA12 and a couple QSC K-10's could not be happier.

Last edited by chitz; 12-01-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM

I recently bought a pair of RCF 310a powered speakers. Smaller and 14 lbs lighter than the single 312a I used to use, and I'm finding that either 1 or 2 of them will cover most of the solo or duo/trio gigs I get. I use an A&H ZED10FX with them. Very pleased.

Louis
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Fender Acoustasonic Jr is pretty portable and usually loud enough for most of my gigs.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I've been playing, using 2 JBL 510 speakers on stands and run my guitar and vocals into an A&H ZED10FX. Sometimes, if I need a monitor, I bring the little Mackie SRM 150 and put it on a stick. Sounds pretty good but is 3 or 4 trips to the car.

I just acquired a Mackie DLM8. I have not gigged with it yet, but in side by side comparisons in my house, it sounds really good. My next gig I'm going to try it without my mixer and just put it up high on a stand behind me. If it works, I'll be a one trip guy!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=Pater Familias;3260928]Is the SoloAmp loud enough to play in a bar over drunks?

I can't say I have used mine in that environment; I use it only in coffee shops, where it is quite adequate, but with prudent positioning it can get quite loud.

It all depends on what your priorities are. Some of the other solutions mentioned here might be more hi-fi or louder, and should be considered if one of those factors matters more/most to you. For the gigs I use it for, I don't need extreme volume or sound quality to the nth degree which can only be appreciated in a perfectly silent environment by a perfectly attentive audience. The SoloAmp requires only the single adjustable height stand it comes with - no speaker cables, no second speaker stand, no outboard mixer, rack, mixer or rack stand, or processors, and packs into a single rolling bag. You unzip the bag, place the single integrated preamp/power amp/speaker cab/effects unit on the stand, and plug in the AC cable. That's it. It doesn't get any simpler than that, and that characteristic, along with the light weight and compact packaging of the ensemble when in the wheeled bag, are what I expect appeals most to those who have chosen that solution for the types of gigs the unit is designed for.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 12-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Bose L1 Mod II/TI or BagAmp/TI.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Loud bars and SA220

Yes, the 220 will get plenty, plenty loud. I've only struggled with mine once in a very, very loud bar, and after that bad night a couple people here told me I could have probably tamed the issues by moving where I stood in relation to the amp; my issue was feedback at extreme volumes, but the amp could have still gotten louder.

Having said that, and having bought my SA for exactly the reasons you've listed (I already had a regular PA very similar to yours and split my time between solo or duo, trio, full band etc), I gotta say that the most logical advice is to just take one of your speakers and the mixer. Or, as some suggested, get the smaller speakers, and then still take just one.

I mean, the SA is great, but it's $1000 bucks, and if you think about it, that's a lot to pay for x numbers of minutes of convenience, when you already have a couple really, really nice speakers.

But having said *that* , I'll also admit that it's really, really nice to make one trip to the car, especially on a work night when you're playing pro bono or for chump change.

One last thing: life is long and always changing: I keep going from assuming I'm now a solo artist to then playing in a full band, then back to solo, then another band...so there *is* some logic to stockpiling a bunch of gear, cuz just cuz you didn't use it this year doesn't mean you won't use it a bunch next year.

That, at least, is what I tell *my* wife.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Plus 1 on the Bose L1 system. Mine is a Model 1 with a single B1 sub. It costs a bit more the competitors, but transport and set is much easier than a traditional PA with mains and monitor. And, as the previous Bose poster mentioned, the Bose has a way of filling a room with crystal clear sound, yet not blasting away at the folks up front. This alone has gotten me some gigs at venues that are just tired of guests leaving because the "acoustic" music is just too loud. Especially in 'hard to play' rooms with hard floors/walls/ceiling where ambient noise if way up there.

I can promise any venue owner that the person in the back of the room will clearly hear every note and every spoken word, yet the newlywed couple at the front table can still converse in normal voices. Show me any traditional PA that can promise that.

The Fishman solo thing is pretty good at this too, for a lesser price, but I much prefer the sound of the Bose.

Hope this helps.
David
David's CDs
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Solo gig rig:

Martin OMCRE and Takamine EAN20C
TC Helicon G-XT
Digitech Stereo JamMan
Allen & Heath Zed10FX
2 - EV ELX12P
too many extras - harps, capos, stands, table for mixer, pedal board
Takes about 4-5 trips from the car. The room I usually play is awful for sound. It has two levels, a long wall of windows and fairly loud patrons. This rig works well and sounds great despite the challenges. I use earbuds for monitors, but I'm considering a Loudbox Artist for a monitor and an option for smaller venues. I don't haul this stuff for less than $300 a night. The load-in and out is what I charge for - I play for free

Mike

Last edited by Laughingboy68; 12-01-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More to say
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Loudbox artist when power is available. For situations that call for battery power, I just received a Roland AC-33 two days ago. I haven't used it on a gig yet. It replaces a crate limo.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Another vote for the SoloAmp for solo gigs, not a fan of Bose, I hear a difference. I can take all the gear I need in a very small sport coupe G37 IPL with the SoloAmp, before I needed my stationwagon and many trips back and forth with a hand truck.

Not really suited for bands to me, but wonderful for solo gigs..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I'm still using my old Fender Passport P-250. 2 trips from my car to the stage: the P.A., and then the speakers and mic stands, and my guitar. It still works, and no one complains about my sound...that's all I'm worried about
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM

My wife and I perform as a duet. We both sing, I play acoustic, and she plays mandolin, accordion, tinwhistles, flute, percussion and a keyboard...
Right now we are using a little Mackie board through a pair of Mackie SRM350s, and a rack TC reverb unit. The PA is the easy part of the setup - all of the trips from the van are carrying the instruments haha.

The Mackie setup does the trick quite nicely for our average jobs (coffee shops, pubs, house concerts, luncheons, schools, churches, weddings...) That being said, we are still considering trying a BOSE L1 setup one of these days. I would consider the Fishman, except I'm thinking we'd need more low end for the keyboard.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=southpaw pete;326380 I would consider the Fishman, except I'm thinking we'd need more low end for the keyboard.[/QUOTE]

So true on not enough lows
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification