The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStingString View Post
not a gibson - definately a kay,
I was able to match it to my encyclopedia. Possibly the lower end of their line looking at the plain headstock. It looks like a 1950's era. In 56 they came out with a "kelvinator" plastic headstock named for their resemblance to a sears appliance line. Later they came out with semi-kelvinator headstocks. My guess is this was a semi that they fumbled with the headstock and probably added the gibson label as the other poster stated. They did make solid and laminates for this so it fits.
Coud you provide a pic showing a Kay with that headstock? Appreciate it.

THx

Takamine Santa Fe, Alvarez 5056, Alvarez 5053,Yamaha FG-300, Yairi DY53 1990 (Pecan), Spirit Dreadnought, Yamaha Classical....we wont even start on the electrics.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Coud you provide a pic showing a Kay with that headstock? Appreciate it.

THx
There are actually quite a few different Kay "Kelvinator" headstock variations. Here's a sampling:

The second pair of photos, with the silkscreened Kay logo, is probably the one closest to what's on that mystery archtop. There wouldn't have needed to be any removal of metal plates or filling of screwholes with this peghead, just stripping off the paint would be all it would take.

The last photo shows the same peghead design, though - strictly speaking - it's not a "Kelvinator" headstock.

Hope this helps.

whm
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Wow!

That is one nice mama! I like it alot. Man, cool axe bro!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Looks a lot like my 1957 Harmony Broadway Archtop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion