The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Default Quality watch purchasing.

For the past 5 years or so I've been thinking about purchasing a "quality" watch, leaning towards an Omega or an IWC.

I see there are some internet sales sites that offer competitive prices...but wonder if it isn't better to purchase from a real "brick and mortar" store, where return, repair, maintenance, warranty issues can be more directly handled...even if the store isn't local and it involves shipping back to them.
I've seen some reviews of on-line sites that complained about issues like these.

Any recommendations?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Hi Jeff, Now you're talking my language.
I sold top shelf watches for a number of years while working for a family owned Bling store chain.
IMO...Nothing wrong with both of the watches that you are looking at buying.

I have sold many, many IWC and Omega watches over a number of years and honestly...I cannot remember ever having to send either of them for repair through malfunction.
Fwiw....I would never ever buy a watch unsighted, there are too many copies out there.
Some of them are so good, even some of the dealers have trouble spotting them.
P.S..If I wear a watch which isn't very often, It's an IWC Schaffhausen Fliegerchrono....Never had any bother with it, keeps perfect time.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM

What?

No G-Shock?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM

I've had excellent success purchasing online. A Jaeger, several Orises and a beautiful IWC Portuguese Perpetual. The key is to know the dealer very well. If the watch does not met expectations, a good dealer will allow you to return it - even if it's pre-owned.

Happy hunting.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM

About a year ago I did some work in the home of a guy who retired from the company that developed the Elixer coating. In fact he gave me a couple sets, one electric and one acoustic. He also showed me a retirement gift he'd just bought himself, a $22,000 Rolex, and shoved it in my face. I looked at it, just seeing a watch that looked like a lot of other watches, and wondering to myself how many cool acoustics and Custom Shop Teles he could have bought with the cash, and said "hey, that's real nice"

That said, I did buy one vintage Omega hammer-wind on eBay made back in the early 1950s and love it, but it was only $150, and have a Black Monster, but nothing expensive. However, there is something very cool about a great mechanical watch, and if you can afford one, why not?

My own favorite watch that I own is a Seiko kinetic titanium SKA211P (quartz. self-charging). Got it for $190 about 6 years ago, from an ebay seller (great price, they usually go $270-$350). Keeps time like an atomic clock, and is sharp-looking and very comfy and light.

Last edited by TomHB; 07-23-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 PM

For a purchase of that caliber, I would want to do it in person - and only then after I had checked out the dealer. I used the services of this firm to restore two watches that belonged to my father.

http://www.universalwatch.net/

One from the 1930's, the other from the 60's - early 70's. I was very satisfied with their work, and they have a beautiful showroom as well.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Only you can decide if the security of a brick and mortar shop is worth the higher price. Most watches have 1 or 2 year warranties and the chance of anything going wrong is small. Also, some internet sellers have a provision in case something goes wrong. It wouldn't be factory service.

I've bought and sold dozens of luxury mechanicals over the years. I tend to buy used as the prices are better but I've bought from internet sellers without issues. One even needed a regulation and they had me send it to a reputable shop. As already said, the key is to know the seller.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic