The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 AM

Question Yamaha quality

Thinking of buying a Yamaha FG 420SCE (1986?)
Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Unless it's very, very cheap I'd pay the extra for a new FG730S and retro-fit the electrics of your choice.
As for quality I don't believe Yamaha ever had an issue there. I have owned many Yamahas including a hand-built LL26 which was absolutely amazing. The fit and finish on all Yamaha instruments from the lowliest to the most lofty of the 'L' series is exemplary.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 AM

my oldest Yamaha evidently comes from the early `50s and is still very playable. I own others from later in the same decade and early `60s...play em all...I`d say I`m a satisfied customer.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 AM

I own the thin body APX 700 and the 900 is due to be delivered today. Of all the small body guitars I've been able to try, Yamaha is top dog, especially with their ART pickup system.

Jack
Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Archives doesn't show that one. Translating its a Solid top Cutaway electrified acoustic? Check neck angle, plug it in...... Unless it was neglected or abused it should still be a fine guitar. There is a new FG730SCE if it doesn't pan out
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdbrwn View Post
Any thoughts?
I have found some twenty and thirty year old inexpensive guitars that were gems, and I have found some that were heartbreakers.

Age takes its toll on a guitar. It could well need a neck reset. If it does, it's probably not a good deal even if it's dirt cheap.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM

I'm not familiar with that model, but I have a 1983 (or maybe 84) Yamaha FG-435A that I adore. It's a pretty basic laminated dread, but there's just something about it. I have a dozen better acoustics now, and I should've gotten rid of the beat-up thing by now, but I just can't part with it. Love that guitar.

I've been told by a couple of folks who were around when the 80s Yamahas were new that Yamaha was trying really hard to break into the US market and gain some respect in the 80s, so they were working extra hard to produce instruments with superb quality. I believe it.

Of course, you should always play a guitar before purchasing it, but I wouldn't have too many reservations about Yamahas from the 1980s.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdbrwn View Post
Any thoughts?
If you can get it good & cheap; I don't much care for Yamahas after the early 80s. The slathered-on finish, makes the inevitable neck reset even more problematic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion