View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
These "Guitar Center is dying" threads remind me of the weather people around where I live - if they predict snow every day, eventually it will come true and they can claim victory.

Tony
This is what I think about it. Same with Gibson. I thought they closed up shop 10 years ago?

I keep saying it, but the issue with brick and mortar stores is pricing. Everyone with any experience buying guitars knows that you can get MUCH better deals online. So people go to GC and SA to test out their gear, and then they buy online. I've done it, and I think most of us have.

Why would anyone buy a slightly "used" guitar from Guitar Center for 15% off (add back tax and you are talking 7-8% off) when you can get a much better deal on a brand new guitar online? It just doesn't make sense to me. People say they want that exact guitar, and I get that, but manufacturers are so consistent today it is almost a non-issue.

My last few trips to GC have been fruitless ventures, but that is just me. For years it has been all I've had. But, one of our local mom and pops is growing exponentially and has taken on PRS, Martin, Taylor, and Fender. It's great! They dont have a ton of stock, but you can try out different things and "occasionally" get a good deal. They still don't discount nearly what an online shop can.