View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
It's not just the acting, it's having a good ear and taking the time to do a foreign accent convincingly. Some good actors can't seem to do that--or they don't try very hard.

I expect Freeman got the Fargo role in part because he has the right look. He's also a rather hot property right now in the midst of the Hobbit films, yet he's not so big a star as to turn down a good TV role. But if Lester Nygaard was the only role I'd seen him play, I wouldn't have guessed that he's British.

Similarly, I saw L.A. Confidential before I knew that Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe are Australian, and their performances gave no clues.
I thought Martin Freeman was good, I realise he got the part because he's kind of "hot" right now. He is a little typecast as a downtrodden nice guy. ('Til he gets hold of a hammer anyway! )
Like some of the other Brit actors who made it big in America, I was very used to seeing him and hearing him speak his mother tongue. I am pleased to hear that he's doing a convincing accent.

I'd watched a lot of "The Wire" before I found out that Idris Elba is from the same part of London I live.
I already knew Dominic West was about as English as it gets, public schoolboy . Terrific performances from both of them playing Baltimore guys with impenetrable accents.
(I heard that series even went out in the States with optional subtitles ).