View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc McMaster View Post
Any any event, what about medium gauge strings on a scallop-braced top? I put 013-056 mediums on my J200 and after about 36 hours noticed a bit more top lifting than I felt comfortable with.......long term use of mediums causes damaging top distortion with scalloped braces? I seem to remember reading something in Martin literature that they did not recommend medium gauge strings on their instruments with scalloped bracing.......

Yes? No?
As the quote from Martin's literature that Placida provided us with points out, it depends on the individual top. But generally speaking, it's okay.

My 1987 000-42 has scalloped bracing based on the bracing pattern of a 1935 000-28, and it's never had anything BUT medium gauge strings on it. And I string my 1989 Gibson J-100 with mediums, as well. Again, there are no problems with it, and never have been.

So it depends on the actual top that's on the guitar, but most traditional style factory-built guitars with scalloped bracing will be fine with mediums on them, since that's within the normal, expected range of customer use.

Wade Hampton Miller