View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Default ADHD/ADD and guitar playing

I have a friend that loves guitar and loves playing, but he has a trouble advancing his skills. He took some lessons, and he got little better but not much.
He is very frustrated, and is asking me for advices all the time. I gladly give him advices and show him some stuff as best I could, but most of the time he doesn't heed them properly. But then I noticed very strange thing. He starts working on a song but never finishes it. And that isn't just with the guitar. It was with pretty much with everything he does: movies, listening songs, speaking to you etc...
It looks like he cannot concentrate and finish one thing before moving on to the next. I am suspecting he has some form of ADHD or ADD.

I noticed in my own playing, that I have improved significantly once I started finishing songs I'm working on before moving on to the next one.

I think in day and age of Facebook, Twitter and iPhone we all suffer some form of environmental form of ADD that effects our guitar playing. I think we need to train/force our brain to concentrate on one thing before moving on to the next. It helped me tremendously. Even if I start reading crappy book, I will force myself to finish it.
This article I read today actually confirms that multitaskers underperformed singletaskers in pretty much all given tasks.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/a...dy-082409.html

I would be very interested to hear if someone has similar experiences.

(please move it to the correct forum if this doesn't belong here)