View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphitz View Post
...Anyone have any experience with a dry, cracked guitar?
Hi lilphitz...
Cracked and dry are danger signals to me when looking at used instruments - they usually mean repairs and sometimes playability issues. I'm certainly willing to set up guitars, but if they are severely mistreated they are sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

Hands-on before purchase would seem a ''must.'' For only a few dollars more, I've seen that model of Tacoma guitar on Craig Lists and cracked or damaged...for less additional money than repairing the crack would likely cost.

If the crack is low humidity induced, then the guitar may have suffered other stresses that probably need to be checked out because they could lead to future repairs.

Make sure it's not dipping or caving-in between the bridge and soundhole. Also, if you can take a thin sheet of paper and run it along the backside of the bridge to make sure it's not lifting. Also check the front and back bookmatched seams to see that they are holding.

Run you hand along the outer ends of the fret wires and see if they are protruding and need to be dressed. That indicates drying out (fret dressing means another tech job unless you have fret files). Also inspect the fingerboard for cracks. Be sure no frets have popped up at the end...

If you know how to sight down the length of a neck to see if it's warping, do so. You should be able to see if the truss rod is set close at the same time.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…