View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzum1349 View Post
Oh I agree with that Gmountain which is where this forum fills a big void for me, to kind of guide me when I'm lost. But I have two kids and stay at home with them and my wife works so I struggle through it and try to save as much as I can. That was really how I was hoping it wouldn't get taken. I fully believe with all my heart that people that are dedicating their life to it definitely deserve their income and believe in paid lessons as well. This I guess was kind of geared toward people like myself that either prefer a self taught method or cannot afford lessons. I just feel like lessons come at a high price sometimes. For example I don't want to pay a teacher to say ok heres how to play barre chords, follow up with me two weeks from now. So I go home work my butt off and then go back and says well you need more work on those. Lol obviously yes, I would love to pay for lessons when I need them without a doubt. I just don't want to follow a course where I'm spending left and right for something that I have the drive and ability to figure out for myself. I however would like to emphasize I see exactly where you are coming from, there are certain thing that teachers can help with that a person who doesn't know any better cant figure out.
I could understand that. I'm not taking a prescribed course though- I just do what interests me. Sure, when I started we went over chords and how to finger them, but each week it was something different. Now it's pretty much I just tell him what I want to work on each time. Last week we talked about arranging a three part piece, which, I admit was over my head, but I still learned something.

But sometimes I'll want to learn a song, or modal scales. Sometimes its rhythm lessons, sometimes strumming patterns, about a third of the time I want to talk about theory. Basically, I read, look online, read things here, and then ask him to help me learn different stuff. He expects me to practice, but it's not like a class where if I don't do something I get in trouble. I might ask about capos, or different tunings.

I believe that you have to be in control about what you want to learn and where you want to go, and where you want to be in a year, or a month or five years.
I don't think you can just show up and expect someone to teach you, but there are group courses like that. I'm an adult though, and it's my money, so I feel like I can ask him to teach me different things. I would imagine it's different if he is teaching a 10 year old. He does have a degree in music education though. I really think that is important.

I feel like I've made great progress. We'll see after five years.