View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I did a study for Dana Bourgeois back a while ago to answer this very question. I approached it from a laboratory viewpoint and not that of a builder.

What I did was to take a batch of wooden products and measured the penetration depth, fiber wetting ability, adhesive force, and modulus and elongation of the specimens. What I found was reasonably similar macroscopic physical properties amongst the adhesives that I studied included 3 of the Titebonds, cyanoacrylates, hide and fish glues along with a couple of my own choices.

What I did find to be different was that there was variation in the fiber wetting and depth of penetration of the adhesives. Hide glue shows an advantage here as do some other synthetic adhesives.

Next was to look at sound propagation across the glued joint. Both the velocity, the loss, and the phase change across the joint. Again, the hide was just a pinch, and almost not even detectable better at keeping loss down. This makes sense because the transition between wood to adhesive to wood again is ever so slightly wider than the joints with the Titebond or other similar products.

Frank Sanns

And this was done with fresh joints. It would be interesting to come back in 10 and 20 years for the same test.
Is that published anywhere? I'd love to see it.

EDIT: Oh nevermind I see it's from the other thread and other user.