View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 AM

Get a set of Waverlys or a the new production Grovers Sta-tites with Butterbean tuners. Either should be a drop in replacement (and come with new grommets just in case), and will work SOOOOO much better than the originals. The modern gear ratios are so much more functional than the original.

I've put on new Waverlys on both my 1937 ES-150 and 1932 L-5 and haven't had a second thought about it ever. Of course, I have the original tuners safely stashed in case I ever need to sell the guitar, but the original gear ratios seem positively barbaric once you make the switch.

Frankly, I just picked up my L-5 from getting the new tuners put in last week, and my god, what a difference. Any time you can get something that's basically a drop-in replacement with modern gear ratios, it's totally worth it.

My only further suggestions:
1 - the "aged" finish nickel waverlys were way more aged than any of the real part on my ES-150, so I probably would opt for the regular nickel and look at having my tech do any aging.
2 - the gold ones are not offered in an aged finish, and I forgot to mention it to my tech, so they are a tad bright looking at the moment. That said, something tells me that six months of finger oil and smudges will probably take the sheen down to a reasonable level. Plus, I can always have my tech take them off and age them later.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G