View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
1. How many mandolins do you own? What kind are they?
2. How did you get started playing mandolin?
3. What was your first mandolin? Do you still own it?
4. What style (or styles) of music do you play on mandolin? Where do you use it? (In a bluegrass band, at church, in a country band, at home strictly for fun, etc.)
5. Who are your favorite mandolin players? Do you try to play like them, play any of their compositions, or do you just admire one or more aspects of their playing?
Wade Hampton Miller
1. My sweetie and I own 3. Two Loars and a Kentucky.
My Loar LM-700 is a one of a kind prototype with an Adi top.
Her Loar is a prototype of the LM-400 prior to its production, a Xmas present from me.
Her Kentucky used to be mine. It was a prototype distressed KM-750 model (I used to call it my poor man's Sam Bush model.)
Lots of prototypes? Yes, it helps to live nearby and have friends at the companies who make & import Kentucky (Saga) and Loar (The Music Link).
2. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
3. ...so I went on Ebay and found Saga selling some KM-150S models, seconds. I live nearby and went in and picked the best one. Sold it down the road after I went to F-Style.
4. Bluegrass-ish/country-ish... We have a four piece band in which I play guitar, mando, Dobro, sing/write; she sings/writes, plays mando (and we have singers on standup bass and guitar).
5. Sam Bush, John Jorgenson, David Grisman