View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, I wasn't really commenting on the quality (or lack thereof) of teaching since that is a whole other subject, but instead on the sometimes over-reliance of the student on the teacher. The student should be thinking for him or herself, coming up with ways to internalize the information being given.

I suppose the appropriate cliche is that you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

As an example, since Toby Walker has been in this thread...

If you buy one of Toby's lessons and maybe even watch the video, unless you work hard to find ways to put that lesson to work for you, you won't have really gained anything from that lesson. Toby did his job, but it is really up to the student to do the rest.

From what I have seen of his video samples, Toby is a good teacher, so that is not at issue in my example. What the student does with that material is.

Tony
Thank you Tony, and I'd like very much to elaborate on what you've written.

I absolutely agree with you that it is up to the student to take what a teacher has shown them and apply it to their future studies. In all of my lessons I strongly emphasize that point. I pride myself on teaching students how to fish, rather than just giving them a fish. It is my sincere hope that the student will be able to take what I teach in the lessons and continue down their path with more confidence, knowledge, and skills. I believe that if a 'horse' is truly thirsty, being shown a solid, time-saving path to the water hole will help them not only quench their thirst, but hopefully teach them how to find other paths with less stress and strain.

One of the things that I offer each and every one of the students that purchases my lessons is free, additional support, whether it's in the form of email correspondence or by them sending me a YouTube video of their progress. I believe that without feedback, a student can develop some pretty poor habits that without being corrected, can wind up impeding their progress on to the goals. Of course in the event of live, Skype lessons, that part of it is automatic. I'm sorry if it appears as if I'm trying to sell something here, which I sincerely am not.

I have to admit, as most people can see from my posts in this thread, that offering services like this for free on a consistent, personalized, and structured basis seems to be highly unlikely. Additionally, I believe that in most cases, but not all, it can seriously devalue the reputation of the instructor and the quality of the content.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 04-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.