View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Thanks for the answer! Certainly, some keys are easier on some instruments, but if I had to play those, I'd just play them as barres. If I needed to play the major chords off the 5th strings I'd see if I could play 7ths because they are much easier, but still they are the same shapes as any other barres, aren't they? I'm a beginner, though, so not saying I could play it well, just that I know where I'd play it.

Some keys are definitely nicer though. I'm a big fan of Fm because I like the way minors are all barres and the majors can all be open.

If I'm playing melody, I wouldn't be thinking about the notes, I'd think about the intervals starting from Db and Bb, exactly the same shapes as C major or any other major, isn't it?
One ting that was really good about the David Sudnow piano course was that there was absolutely no concept of "easy" and "hard" keys. I think that, on piano, that is for those whose whole thing is reading every played note off the sheet music. For what we were doing, every key was the same, since we were working from lead sheets.

On the guitar, if you really get a handle on the CAGED system, all keys are equal. I have no trouble playing in a jazz group, which I have done. Horn players want to be in Bb or Eb. Singers have to be in the keys that match their vocal range. A guitar player who intends to work in these environments needs to have that fluency.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...