View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Thank you Captain Jim! I just found the Al Petteway clip myself. Nice. The X20 doesn't sound as loud and bright as the Rainsong but still sounds pretty good. I would say that the X20 sounds a little warmer , a tad quieter maybe a bit boxy versus an open ringing sound or the Rainsong by comparison. Would that be fair? I guess that's all subjective depending on the player and listener.
Clips really vary by video I find. I suppose a players touch really comes into it when we are talking fingerstyle. I listened to several Al Petteway clips on an X20 and they all sounded different. Shouldn't they all sound the same since this is CF?? So then I expect mic placement, room dynamics and whatever mastering they do effects it.

I also make sure I listen with some quality headphones. Most computer speakers and earbuds don't produce good bass. I use my Bose Q25 with the noise cancelling turned off as it drastically re-eq's things. I find I get a full natural tone that way. I tested them with music I know and it sounds very true. Some people have very nice computer sound systems, so thus may by moot for you.

From my listening experience, Martin Blaines gets the most out of CF guitars for fingerstyle (not that I've heard everything). There was already one video linked, here's another. He gets many tones and dynamic range. That's a combination of his fabulous technique and the instrument to exhibit it on.