View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
So I decided to check out a Music store within reach of me at 35 miles away to see what they had to offer. I had already called ahead and asked about inventory and she stated they had about 40 guitars in stock. I was looking for a bass at the time and they are a Peavey and a Samick/Greg Bennet dealer.

This is an old family business and good sized shop. As I entered I noticed half of the store was maybe church related supplies like robes and literature and the other half was music. About 10 pianos in stock, some wind instruments and all the guitars on the wall in one spot with a decent selection of amps and PA equipment.

I had time to browse and had picked out a small bass practice amp that I needed and did not have a price on it. I was willing to pay a little more there within range to support the locals and begin a relationship with store...possibly.

So I made my way to a nice Samick cutaway about $299 and began to tune it with the tuner and pick I brought with me. The owner I think came over and she asked me If I needed any help. I told her I was interested in the small amp in the next room if she could tell me the price.

She said okay I'll check on that amp for you. Then....
"Now we don't mind anyone playing the guitars as long as they are interested in buying"....just as I strummed the freshly tuned G chord...."and I say that lightly" she said.
"So you don't want me playing the guitar ?" I asked.
"Well it makes them hard to sell with scratches on them. Let me check on that amp for you" as she walked away.
I proceeded to hang the guitar back on the wall and replied, " I tell you what, just forget it" and I exited the store thinking they just don't need my business.

I sure hated that too as I had high hopes for finding this nice store. The lady was very nice and I can understand her reasoning, but still disappointed. I felt bad afterwards.

What would you have done?
What I would have done is first ask if I could play the guitar. I don't think I've ever been in any guitar shop where I didn't ask first if it was okay for me to take it off the hanger myself. Sometimes, I prefer that the clerk hand it to me so that there is one less chance for ME to drop it!

This could have increased the chance of having a discussion in advance where you might have been able to communicate your awareness and intent of the importance of being a careful test driver.

somewhat akin to a car showroom - you can sit in it and try out the doors , but you can't get the keys for a road test without a discussion first.

or, maybe like when meeting a potential partner for the first time and greeting them with a big kiss on the lips before you've even been introduced.

I do not think it is at all unreasonable for the business owners to establish the boundaries of access to their wares.

I think it is an example of cognitive dissonance for a shopper to overlook the fact that there are many kinds of shoppers, and many with no consideration for others.

I try to consider that a retail clerk or store owner has no way of knowing by looking what kind of shopper you are.

In addition, I try to be mindful of how quickly we'll ask for a discount on an obviously used new instrument, and then consider how that discount (on top of others) impacts the profit to the store, which continues a domino effect all the way to a store barely holding on with one underpaid miserable clerk.

This thread now has me thinking about how we shoppers can contribute to the overall experience of guitar sales.

Personally, I've never ever , not once , had any store object to my test driving a guitar, even after I've specifically declared my goal is simply to try stuff out on the way to making a decision at some unknown date in the future.

I think that is due in some part to my interest in establishing a relationship with the store where I'll likely come back for support for whatever I buy.

I'll be interested in reading what others have to say.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE